• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to make a cotton climbing net

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd like to make Gigi a climbing net. Recommendations on what type of rope to use? And where to buy online? I'm thinking white cotton, not sisal. Thx!

:hug8:

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
I buy 100% Jute off amazon

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Besides cotton you can use stuff like
Hemp
Jute
and Sisal too (even though you said you didnt want sisal thought Id still mention it.)
I like using the Jute since it's usually a little softer.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks @Mizzely and @Miss Annamarie ! Great ideas!

Many years ago I had a sisal boing. My female caique got a mild underfoot injury. When I see sisal I always think that can happen, but maybe Gigi is on far rougher surfaces without a problem. But I will look at softer alternatives for my peace of mind. :)

Tielygirl

Avenue Veteran
I have made a few nets. Cotton is my favorite to make them out of. they are so much softer on their feet. I cheat, however, and use zip ties to make the nets. I have little birds who dont bother with the zip ties so I save time, my hands, and money! (less rope!)

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have made a few nets. Cotton is my favorite to make them out of. they are so much softer on their feet. I cheat, however, and use zip ties to make the nets. I have little birds who dont bother with the zip ties so I save time, my hands, and money! (less rope!)
Clever! My girl is little too so that's an interesting idea. What are zip ties? Like what is twisted around bread to keep it fresh?

Tielygirl

Avenue Veteran
Clever! My girl is little too so that's an interesting idea. What are zip ties? Like what is twisted around bread to keep it fresh?
:) They are also called Cable ties: https://www.amazon.com/TR-Industria...ld=1&keywords=cable+tie&qid=1585874576&sr=8-3

They are just little plastic ties that lock in. one end slides into another and you trim any excess.

Edit: So I just lay out the grid of the net on the floor, and use these ties to bind the intersections of rope - usually 1 tie per cross is enough.

Attachments

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
NO NO! Don't even think about using those twist ties that go around bread. I believe some are made from lead and the covering is not safe died. Not a good thing to use. :)

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
NO NO! Don't even think about using those twist ties that go around bread. I believe some are made from lead and the covering is not safe died. Not a good thing to use. :)
Thanks @Farlie
@Tielygirl clarified that she uses cable ties.
I'm going to do the knot tying thing as soon as I'm able to buy cotton rope.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Thanks @Farlie
@Tielygirl clarified that she uses cable ties.
I'm going to do the knot tying thing as soon as I'm able to buy cotton rope.
Just remember you’re going to need quite a bit more rope than you think. Those knots eat up the footage on the thick stuff.

another option is to use very thin rope pieces (because it’s cheap) to lash (crisscross) the intersections. Save that footage on the thick stuff.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Just remember you’re going to need quite a bit more rope than you think. Those knots eat up the footage on the thick stuff.

another option is to use very thin rope pieces (because it’s cheap) to lash (crisscross) the intersections. Save that footage on the thick stuff.
I agree, with the criss crossing, it's what I did on the one I made last night and it took so much less time and less rope

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
What kind of rope did you end up using @Dona?

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh yeah, looks like a clean product! I've read reviews about some that arrive and smell like petroleum!

Oh that's a great idea! Sounds like it would be easier to get a tight knot too.

What kind of rope did you end up using @Dona?
I haven't bought the rope yet. Because of the coronavirus my condo building is requesting that we not order any non-essential products to be delivered at this point. I wish I could make it now, during this down time!

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's a little smaller than the ones I usually make but I ran out of rope ):
Its about 3.5x3.5, I made loops at the corners and added jute I braided so it could be hung
So nice!! I have so many questions. How do you use it? What do you hang it from? Are the holes big enough for your bird to climb through? Is that the goal or to just use to climb up? I'm having no success with the hubby and hanging anything from the ceiling. :)

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
So nice!! I have so many questions. How do you use it? What do you hang it from? Are the holes big enough for your bird to climb through? Is that the goal or to just use to climb up? I'm having no success with the hubby and hanging anything from the ceiling. :)
For your birds, the holes would be smaller, but for my littles, I still make it so they can go through, Bee likes to climb upside down and through and all over them! I hang them with little small ceiling hooks you can screw in, or even, if you don't want ceiling damage, I use the command hooks for my smaller birds and their nets (make sure they're the ones that can hold 2lbs, this won't work for really more than a lovebird I've noticed). Or I just tie them to a playstand as like a ladder like you said! But most of the time, I screw hooks into the ceiling and hang toys above it. If I had a picture of what I had about 4 months ago I'd show you, but I had a net on the ceiling, it hung about a foot or 2 away from the ceiling, I put toys above it and a basket full of foot toys, that was their favourite set up of it.
(I drew a terrible picture on my snip tool for a crappy explanation, blue is toys)
1586275055045.png