• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to know when molt started?

Haimovfids

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I have an almost 4-month-old sun conure.

I’ve been noticing him shed a LOT of down feathers even since he turned 3 months old. I assumed he was starting to molt, but I read that 6 months is when they should start.

I noticed a few pins around his face (very few) , but today I saw a cluster of bright pins on his chin!! I’m very excited for him to change into his adult colors, but how do I know if he officially started his molt? I genuinely thought 6 months was the bare minimum age.

Oh, and he lost this feather last week.

image.jpg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If there are a lot of feathers and no bald spots or downy feathers showing through on your bird, then it's a molt ;)

Birds do lose feathers continuously as they can, but they usually do a big molt 1-3 times a year. Sometimes they are triggered by warmer weather, longer photoperiods, and better nutrition - all signs for the body that energy for growing feathers is plentiful!

Haimovfids

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
no bald spots or downy feathers showing through on your bird
Actually, I see 2 bald spots on his chest, and I’ve been seeing down feathers sticking out of his body ever since he was 3 months.

What does that mean?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Do you have a photo?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Okay so just a little scruffy is okay. If it gets worse or he's noticably balding, that's not normal molting usually, and would be worth a vet visit. A molt shouldn't compromise a bird's health, and their down feathers or skin being exposed would make it harder for them to stay warm.