• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to keep my birds from getting a disease

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
So recently (today) I've seen something besides feathers. It's tiny, brown, cute, has a long tail and jumps EXTREMELY high! Yes it is a mouse, I'd leave the mouse be if they didn't spread diseases, I'm mostly concerned about my birds, because THEIR stuff is perfect for mice, like their toys, dropped seed, and their paper I use for the bottom of their cage, I'm scared that the mouse could have some disease and spread it to my birds! What can I do to keep everything in my room sanitary for my birds? I've seen that mouse twice today! And he's so cute! His speed startled me the second time, please help me while the mouse still lives!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I won’t be liked much for saying so but if that mouse is in your house it’s a health hazard for your birds and the humans in your house, they literally drip urine everywhere they go and won’t discriminate between old and new food, they’re filthy creatures that carry and spread germs… I’d kill it faster than I’d think about how cute it may be. I’ve lived through more than one mouse plague so I’m well aware of the risks they present for other living beings around them- sorry if you think I’m heartless and cruel but I believe a fast death in a snap trap is probably the most humane and responsible thing you can do.

Jogging around the block
Is the mouse eating the dropped food on the tray? Or actually in the cage / eating their food out of the dish?
I used to have mice sometimes near my birds but only in the seed tray, which I fixed by religiously removing the dropped food, which in my case the mice then went away.
Also could use Shezbug's method.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I won’t be liked much for saying so but if that mouse is in your house it’s a health hazard for your birds and the humans in your house, they literally drip urine everywhere they go and won’t discriminate between old and new food, they’re filthy creatures that carry and spread germs… I’d kill it faster than I’d think about how cute it may be. I’ve lived through more than one mouse plague so I’m well aware of the risks they present for other living beings around them- sorry if you think I’m heartless and cruel but I believe a fast death in a snap trap is probably the most humane and responsible thing you can do.
Unfortunately agree.
I’ve seen enough mice in the last few months to last me several lifetimes :grumpy:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Unfortunately the mouse has got to go.

Though I´m a softie for mice and would trap it and take it away to release it far off. I think you can buy humane traps for mice. Though I´ve managed to catch a wild field mouse in a tupperware by hand before. The trick is cornering it.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Don't worry everyone! We are going to kill it, I'm just saying what should I do to keep my room sanitary from getting anyone sick until it's dead, and then Even after it's dead in going to wipe everything down, I'm probably going to move my birds out of my room for that because I'll use a soap that's relatively safe, but if im wiping everything down, then I think it's better to be safe than sorry. My mom hasn't bought any.mouse traps yet, but I think we have to go to the store today. Walmarts in a different town so it is kind of far away, But the mouse and really needs to be Dead! That's what I told my mom yesterday, it's super cute but it needs to be dead.

Last edited:

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Totally agree with this

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Try and keep all food in sealed containers wash your hands before handling feeding bird and preparing food for yourself or the bird.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I declare: the mouse is dead! It's just a huge relief

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I declare: the mouse is dead! It's just a huge relief
Good to hear!

I had found last night that a mouse had starting visiting my outdoor aviary…. He’s in mouse heaven this morning but I can guarantee there’ll be more so I’m in mouse hunting mode lol

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Lol, now I just need to disinfect my entire room, I'll sure enjoy that