• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to Keep Indoor Cage Clean???

laurenes

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lauren Bozeman
Ok guys…. How the heck do you keep your cages clean when they are too big to take outside to clean?? Especially for powder down birds like Umbrella Cockatoos, and your bird gets upset when you clean or touch his cage and you can’t trust them to be out of the cage in a separate room lol. He’s still new to me, chases and bites when out of the cage but it’s gets dusty so fast and needs to be cleaned frequently!

Attachments

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
@Xoetix @Icey @Shezbug might be able to help you

I clean my grates in shower hover inside cages and wipe down bars with a damp wet cloth then go over with paper towel
When I take out all perches I spray cage down with f10 spray perches shower then in hot water rub cloth over them and leave to dry
But I have small birds and only my female lovebird attacks me when cleaning cages I shut her in pico cage

laurenes

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lauren Bozeman
@Xoetix @Icey @Shezbug might be able to help you

I clean my grates in shower hover inside cages and wipe down bars with a damp wet cloth then go over with paper towel
When I take out all perches I spray cage down with f10 spray perches shower then in hot water rub cloth over them and leave to dry
But I have small birds and only my female lovebird attacks me when cleaning cages I shut her in pico cage
Thanks I do have some F10. I have been just doing what I can with cloths and sponges from outside of the cage but very soon am going to have to really address the inside and the perches. I have honestly considered eventually but one of those big double cages so I can clean one side at the time with the bird in the other lol

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Oof, not being able to be near him definitely makes it harder.

For my cockatoo, her cage doesn't get too dusty. It's everything else in the room lol. I usually just wipe things down with a damp cloth. For the poo, I have to put the trays that slide into the cage underneath the cage onto the floor itself because Isadora is a butthead and pulls the paper through the grate. I've started putting extra paper in the cage itself that she can shred up, and it also catches the majority of the poop, so it's almost like spot cleaning - I just replace the paper that's inside the cage.

Do you maybe have a travel cage you can pop him into in order to clean?

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Thanks I do have some F10. I have been just doing what I can with cloths and sponges from outside of the cage but very soon am going to have to really address the inside and the perches. I have honestly considered eventually but one of those big double cages so I can clean one side at the time with the bird in the other lol
Might be a good idea does he have a travel cage or a dog crate you could lure him in there with his favourite treats while you clean his cage

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Not sure how bad the situation is with you touching the cage so I am unsure if you can have the bird out of the cage while you clean it and just dodge any bite attempts by moving on and staying out of reach.... really lets you know you are alive and well doing it this way when they are determined to see you bleed lol

If you can not have the bird out in the same room while you clean then I guess you will need to crate your bird if you need to clean the inside of the cage and the bird is cage protective.

If you have a second cage you could use that or you could look into getting another cage with a divider so you can do half the cage at a time.

I personally do a fair bit of dodging and moving about when my boy turns into the flying horror movie character.

sb sigmund

Strolling the yard
F10, scrub brush, washcloth and a dream. I also take the tray and rinse it down in the shower. If somethings really bad I take it on the balcony and shake it off. Is he crate trained? Maybe he can have crate and snack time while you clean the cage. Or take him to a different room

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
My parrot is cage dominant but doesn't try to bite me outside his cage. He gets MAD when I clean or move things around though.

Sometimes I can do a full wipe down while he's out playing and distracted. But if not I have another small cage I put him in with fun toys and treats he only gets in there, so that I can wipe down the inside of his cage and bedtime platform.

It can be tricky when they aren't at that point of cooperating yet though!

laurenes

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lauren Bozeman
Not sure how bad the situation is with you touching the cage so I am unsure if you can have the bird out of the cage while you clean it and just dodge any bite attempts by moving on and staying out of reach.... really lets you know you are alive and well doing it this way when they are determined to see you bleed lol

If you can not have the bird out in the same room while you clean then I guess you will need to crate your bird if you need to clean the inside of the cage and the bird is cage protective.

If you have a second cage you could use that or you could look into getting another cage with a divider so you can do half the cage at a time.

I personally do a fair bit of dodging and moving about when my boy turns into the flying horror movie character.
I really like the cage with the divider idea

laurenes

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lauren Bozeman
Oof, not being able to be near him definitely makes it harder.

For my cockatoo, her cage doesn't get too dusty. It's everything else in the room lol. I usually just wipe things down with a damp cloth. For the poo, I have to put the trays that slide into the cage underneath the cage onto the floor itself because Isadora is a butthead and pulls the paper through the grate. I've started putting extra paper in the cage itself that she can shred up, and it also catches the majority of the poop, so it's almost like spot cleaning - I just replace the paper that's inside the cage.

Do you maybe have a travel cage you can pop him into in order to clean?
I do have a travel cage and he absolutely hates it! He does not like to be put in a small confined space at all lol. I’m shocked and jealous that your cockatoo isn’t too dusty!