• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to keep hens cool during this insane heatwave

echobird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
It has been insanely hot this past week and the temps will continue well into next week... Luckily, it's a dry heat.
I go out to spray down the yard and coop 2-3 times a day to keep them cool. They have plenty of cold water and cold watermelon. But they are still insanely hot.
What to do?
Spraying the hens down will stress them out, so I am hoping for alternatives...

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
You can buy misting systems on Amazon for $25-30 - maybe something like that would help?

echobird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
That sure would help, and I am thinking about installing one. The issue is that my girls aren't confined to a coop or run during the day, and I can't install the misting system everywhere. They also avoid sprinkler mists at all costs even though they are hot

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
It's probably going to be a "you can lead the horse to water.." scenario with them. You can give them shade, cooler areas, and fresh water, but you can't force them to use them. You just have to hope that they would if they really need it.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Can you give them frozen veggies and fruits in a shallow pool? I've also seen people make frozen treat blocks with whatever they like in a bucket and fill with water so it lasts longer.

echobird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
Can you give them frozen veggies and fruits in a shallow pool? I've also seen people make frozen treat blocks with whatever they like in a bucket and fill with water so it lasts longer.
Ooh I hadn't considered that! They already love the refrigerated melons they get, so I'm sure they'll enjoy frozen grapes and peas. I'll give the frozen treat block idea a try too.
I am so ready for the cooler months after this heatwave ;D

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Frozen melon is a great idea!

If some of these ideas are interesting for you I made a post about it in another thread not long ago: What’s wrong with the chickens?

1. Keep waterer full. -Fresh and clean.
  2. Add an additional open dish water source so they have the option to dip the wattles if they so choose. There is some evidence that chickens use wattles to regular body temperature in addition to their social uses.
  3. Provide more shading, maybe shade cloth over some areas or add some potted shrubs that they can relax under.
  4. Set up a chilled dirt bath that you can give them access to during the hottest point.
  5. Offer frozen or chilled fruits snakes. Watermelon is a good option since it also has a lot of water content.
  6. At the hottest point in the day put ice in their waterer and open water dish.
  7. Discourage overly exciting activities.
  8. Feed their standard diet very early in the day so they can rest midday.

BirdWorld

If some of these ideas are interesting for you I made a post about it in another thread not long ago: What’s wrong with the chickens?

2. Add an additional open dish water source so they have the option to dip the wattles if they so choose. There is some evidence that chickens use wattles to regular body temperature in addition to their social uses.
  3. Provide more shading, maybe shade cloth over some areas or add some potted shrubs that they can relax under.
  4. Set up a chilled dirt bath that you can give them access to during the hottest point.
  5. Offer frozen or chilled fruits snakes. Watermelon is a good option since it also has a lot of water content.
  6. At the hottest point in the day put ice in their waterer and open water dish.
@fashionfobie... you said snakes again ;)

echobird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash

Those are great ideas! I tried the frozen treat block with grapes, peas, and meal worms. It took some getting used to, and some of the girls still ignored it, but most enjoyed it. The heatwave has mostly passed!