• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to keep coccidia away for good

fluff86

Walking the driveway
This is becoming a huge issue I keep losing all my chicks. No matter how clean I keep things on a daily basis I just can't keep the coccidia away or at least for long enough. They get there meds which goes in there water and they all recover for a period of time until they fall sick again then I have to repeat treatment and the cycle just continues. I'm sure people are fed up of reading my posts, its even more frustrating for me having to deal with this. I also have some rabbits that became ill with coccidia so I'm not convinced that this coccidia just affects birds. Its not the intestinal type its the one that lives in the organs.

Will coccidia ever go away or am I stuck with it?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Have you thrown out absolutely everything that is porous (perches and toys for instance), deep cleaned and disinfected (with F10SC) all non porous items the birds come into contact with? Every cage bar, cage part, every bowl, every surface used by the birds, every non porous perch washed/scrubbed in hot soapy water then disinfected- every porous item such as nesting material, natural perches, nest boxes, aviary flooring (not sure what your set up is like) needs to be removed (disposed of) and replaced with clean non infected/infested items.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Hi if it’s not going would it be worth buying all brand new cages food/water bowls toys perches nest boxes etc I know it’s going to be a pain in the bottom really expensive but would it be worth it ? If you have already total cleaned disinfectant everything
Have you cleaned disinfectant walls behind cages etc ?
If it was me I would buy all new and see how that goes I maybe totally wrong but if which I am sure you have totally cleaned disinfectant it’s obviously still someone either on birds or on the cages perches toys nest box etc

fluff86

Walking the driveway
They all live in a wooden and wire mesh aviary indoors. I haven't cleaned there nest boxes for a while so I'll do that today. I'll give them a scrub then leave them to soak in some boiling soapy water. The nest boxes are wooden.

Is there a disinfectant spray I can buy for bird cages?

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I also use F10SC for anything I need to disinfect

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I would stop breeding. Remove nest boxes . Give a six month break.

Breeding is extremely stressful on the female body. And sup par health and nutrition. Is preventing full recovery. Cleanliness. Plus I'm still not sure you have ruled out bacterial and virus issues.

Last edited:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
There are a lot of resources in this site.
Bacteria is listed as number one rule out

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
The coast of egg laying and chicks is huge. If the female isn't in good health and nutrition, then the survivability of the chicks goes way down .

Really urge to stop producing. Rest your pairs. Let them build up health .

There aren't enough studies but it's understood to be upto a + 70% metabolic demand from base line to make eggs , raise young. You aren't going to get healthy chicks until you have healthy females.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I would stop breeding. Remove nest boxes . Give a six month break.

Breeding is extremely stressful on the female body. And sup par health and nutrition. Is preventing full recovery. Cleanliness. Plus I'm still not sure you have ruled out bacterial and virus issues.
I think if my memory serves right there was a diagnosis

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Fluff,
The link gives a 7 week treatment protocol for coccidia. As well as a lot of information.
Are you able to access the information?

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Get rid of the wood in the cage and anything porous (perches, toys, nest boxes etc), spray everything else with F10 and leave to dry or rinse as directed, and I'd consider using the F10 aerosol fogger to get into all the nooks and crannies. You will need to remove your birds from the area when you use it.

I would strongly encourage you not to breed - if they lay eggs, then replace with dummies or boil the eggs to make them infertile. I would avoid introducing any new birds into your aviary or letting any of your birds leave.

fluff86

Walking the driveway
The avairy is always cleaned weekly and has remained clean ever since I had the birds the issue was when I bought them they were already infected which I didn't know about. Its Hepatic Coccidiosis, when I gave them Acox they all had a bad reaction to it so I removed it and purred it way and gave them fresh water although acox wouldn't have done anything because its for intestinal coccidiosis and its not the type I have. The only effective thing that semmed to work was a wormer that contained Oxfendazole, praziquantel and Levamisole. That perks them right up and get better again after having it but the problem returns again within weeks. I gave them MegaCox this morning which treats all types of coccidiosis. There was an eerie silence shortly afterwards but I've checked on them and they seem ok. Its a one day treatment so maybe it might do something.

What I would like to do is just have one breeding pair of Zebras in a cage and not breed the others. Its easier said than done because I can't tell who is paired up to who. I have thought about placing a bird cage inside the aviary with a nest box attached to it to see if I can get a breeding pair into the cage then once that happens I can remove the cage from the aviary with a breeding pair inside and cease breeding for the rest of the aviary and flock.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The avairy is always cleaned weekly and has remained clean ever since I had the birds
If you're just going to argue with the advice given, why bother to post for advice? It seems to happen a lot with you.

Your current cleaning methods are not cutting it in the face of a persistent infection. Get rid of anything porous and seriously disinfect everything else. If you can get hold of an all-metal aviary, so much the better.

fluff86

Walking the driveway
If you're just going to argue with the advice given, why bother to post for advice? It seems to happen a lot with you.

Your current cleaning methods are not cutting it in the face of a persistent infection. Get rid of anything porous and seriously disinfect everything else. If you can get hold of an all-metal aviary, so much the better.
There is no need to be personal and insulting. I wasn't arguing with the advice???

I just wont come back problem solved.

Thank you to everybody else for there advice much appreciated. :greet13:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
OP didn't argue, they ignored. There was no personal attack per my understanding of such, and others gave similar advice. Move along, people.

fluff86

Walking the driveway
Just an update to this thread...

There were a few issues with the Zebra Finches, the illness wasn't Coccidia. I had a dead bird examined and it died from fatty liver disease. There were a few that had fatty liver disease, others that were egg bound. Another had digestive issues. This was due to poor diet and nutrition because of my lack of knowledge at the time.