• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to keep birds of another bird's cage

Momo & Mido

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
Umi (our little recently rescued lovebird) is recovering in her new cage!
But with that collar (and not being a great climber), she will be mostly on the floor of her cage. There will be more surgeries in the future unfortunately.
Momo and Mido (our two male lovebirds) are obsessed with her and can't stay away from her cage. I keep her in there for now because I don't want them to bully or hurt her.

My thought now is to put plexiglass half way with holes and hooks to hang it so she can't bite the toes or any of them instigate a fight. But I could use some advise and new ideas!

So my question is: what do you do (or know someone who does this) to keep everyone safe when one bird is recovering in their cage while the rest is flying free?

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Plexiglass is likely what I would do as well.

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Not sure how long you have had Umi, but remember to provide an adequate quarantine period before introducing new birds.

Regarding your question, plexi glass is a good choice because it allows light while blocking toes and beaks. For the top of the cage, anything solid and flat should do the trick. Cardboard works in a pinch. You can also try repositioning the cage so it is up against a wall or other solid surface to block one or two sides. Or moving the whole cage into a different room.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
On the top of the cages we use clear plastic mats. They’re flexible and can roll up. I’m not sure if hubby cut up a computer mat or if they’re for bathtubs.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I was also thinking maybe those "seed guard" skirt type things. They're meant to go around the bottom to catch mess. Since she is mainly at the bottom of her cage for now and the foreseeable future, that may be an easy fix.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Like this:
Screenshot_20220126-183726_Chrome.jpg

Momo & Mido

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
Not sure how long you have had Umi, but remember to provide an adequate quarantine period before introducing new birds.

Regarding your question, plexi glass is a good choice because it allows light while blocking toes and beaks. For the top of the cage, anything solid and flat should do the trick. Cardboard works in a pinch. You can also try repositioning the cage so it is up against a wall or other solid surface to block one or two sides. Or moving the whole cage into a different room.
Thank you for your advice!

We had a quarantaine period and did all the tests for contagious diseases. And we are in the clear! I have sheets hanging on the back of all the cages for noise, so it wil be mainly for the front and sides. I like to keep her in the same room with my other birds to make her feel less lonely. But you are right that safety comes first

Momo & Mido

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
On the top of the cages we use clear plastic mats. They’re flexible and can roll up. I’m not sure if hubby cut up a computer mat or if they’re for bathtubs.
Good idea! Thank you!

Momo & Mido

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
I was also thinking maybe those "seed guard" skirt type things. They're meant to go around the bottom to catch mess. Since she is mainly at the bottom of her cage for now and the foreseeable future, that may be an easy fix.
We had birds come in with a cage that had that at my work. I thought they made that themselves... but that is a real thing! I'm going to look for that. Thank you!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
That is a great idea. Once I swap out the carpet for vinyl planking in my room, I'll have two and I was just wondering what I was going to do with them.