• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to introduce budgies to other vegetables?

Aves

Rollerblading along the road
My budgies only eat leafy greens for vegetables. Do I need to introduce other vegetables, and if so, how?

JayBudgiz

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jay
As great as greens are they aren't everything you can give budgies. Shredded carrots and capsicum peices are very liked by my birds. First introducing them you can sprinkle seed or something familiar on top of the vege. Feed first thing in the morning when they are most hungry.
Note that the budgies will get red around their beaks from the capsicum.
Others should chime in with more ideas. :)

Farfah

Walking the driveway
My birds were crazy scared of veggies to start so I would chop up veggies into tiny pieces with a food processor and mix it with seed. After they started eating the veg, I cut it up into larger pieces and now they will eat whole veg. I try to give them a variety of colours when it comes to vegetables but they definitely prefer leafy greens.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Leafy greens are fantastic! Rich in loads of vitamins and minerals - especially if they are dark green. My budgie Boo used to eat sprouted and soaked grains too. He used to be interested in anything I was eating which was how I expanded his diet. He also loved fruits as well as veggies and sprouts. I used to put them in a little bowl stuck to the the top of his cage since he would always hang out there. He would eat more when I was eating since birds eat as flocks.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
One word of advice, don’t give up! I’ve heard it takes weeks months or even a year or so for some birds to start eating new foods. Persistence and routine is key for birds. Offer the new foods at the same time every day, usually first thing in the morning as @JayBudgiz said, they’re more willing to eat when hungry, but some birds aren’t willing to eat new food at all if they’re too hungry. It’s all about what works best for your budgie.

Also, eat it with them! It’s bird behavior to eat together, and if they see you eating it they’re more likely to want to eat it, too. I had to eat my budgie’s chop to get him to eat it, it’s also a great way to bond when you eat together.

Offer the new foods prepared in different ways, some birds prefer their veggies finely chopped and others like it completely whole fit them to eat, some like it warm, others like it cold, etc.

Good luck!!

ParrotNuts

Real Name
Atharv
How about dipping in water and then sticking millet on the veggie. That's what I do whenever I need to introduce a new fruit or veggie and it works every time o_O

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Leafy greens are fantastic! Rich in loads of vitamins and minerals - especially if they are dark green. My budgie Boo used to eat sprouted and soaked grains too. He used to be interested in anything I was eating which was how I expanded his diet. He also loved fruits as well as veggies and sprouts. I used to put them in a little bowl stuck to the the top of his cage since he would always hang out there. He would eat more when I was eating since birds eat as flocks.
Dear Fuzzy, I was and am and always will be a big fan of your Olie. I also got an OWA and lots of queries regarding them, will post them in proper thread. Will you be so kind to answer them, plz.
I am going to follow your advice related to budgie diet also, thanks so much.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How about dipping in water and then sticking millet on the veggie. That's what I do whenever I need to introduce a new fruit or veggie and it works every time o_O
Good idea.