• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to identify Pineapple Conure gender???

monjur sayad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
monjur sayad
Hi, I bought a pair of pineapple conure. But I don't understand which one is male and female. In my city there are no avian DNA test available. So, is there any way visually find their gender?? I heard about pendulum test is this really work for birds???? Thanks

Cat The Great

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Caitlyn
Hi, I bought a pair of pineapple conure. But I don't understand which one is male and female. In my city there are no avian DNA test available. So, is there any way visually find their gender?? I heard about pendulum test is this really work for birds???? Thanks
I don’t believe there is any way to visually find their sex, however I could be wrong. @Monica might be able help you with this.

AzKhaleesi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Heather

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The "pendulum test" is a load of nonsense. No, it does not work.

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
No Pineapples need to be DNA'd. However you can buy a kit on Amazon! (ha get it Amazon?) Then mail it to the company and they will send you the results. :starshower1:
Amazon.com : Bird Sexing DNA Sample Collection Kit Gender Reveal Test for Parrots, Lovebirds, Cockatoos, African Grey, Silkies‎, Macaws, Cockatiels (+300 Psittacines) Avian Sexing DNA Testing : Pet Supplies
Ha, didnt even know amazon sells kits. I do all my testing at animal genetics, formerly known as avian biotech. You can go their site, print a DNA card and mail it in with payment. Animal Genetics | Genetic Testing Services

I think the new company that lots of new owners are using is IQ bird testing since it is cheap Order bird DNA test- 99.99% safe from iQBirdTesting.com

Last edited:

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've used both Avian Genetics and IQ.

You can check the pelvis when the bird is older, but those results tend to be subjective and even experienced bird owners can be wrong with that one. It's best to rely on the DNA test.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If you knew the parentage of either bird, you might be able to then on the female only.... but a strange new pair? No, not really...

As mentioned, DNA sexing is best. It's not unheard of to buy "proven pairs" that are actually male/male or female/female.