• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to identify birds without leg bands.

Mike Laws

Moving in
Hi I missed the boat getting leg bands on my king parrot chicks so how else can you mark the chicks to tell them apart without having legbands.

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
How old are the chicks? How many?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hi I missed the boat getting leg bands on my king parrot chicks so how else can you mark the chicks to tell them apart without having legbands.
BIRD SAFE dye on a few feathers is a technique I have seen used. Be aware that the dye wont last and will need to be regularly redone.

The other option would be using open bands

Mike Laws

Moving in
BIRD SAFE dye on a few feathers is a technique I have seen used. Be aware that the dye wont last and will need to be regularly redone.

The other option would be using open bands
Have heard bad things about open bands like them getting caught on netting etc so am shy of them.Tried nail polish but did not last long at all

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Please do not use nail polish- the smell of the chemicals (VOC'S) alone can be deadly, the chips of nail polish if eaten can also be deadly.

I do not understand what netting would be around your baby birds for it to be dangerous.... netting itself is dangerous.

The BIRD SAFE dye would need to be reapplied possibly every other day but it is an option which is not deadly or dangerous.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Regarding bird-safe dyes, the simplest option for most people is food dye. Most food dyes are non-toxic and bird-safe.

Ideally, look for organic vegetable-based food dyes. If you can't find food dye, you can make your own simple vegetable dyes at home with minimal effort.

For example, fresh beets will happily stain feathers as anyone who has added it to chop already knows. :)

Last edited:

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you’re handfeeding, use food safe coloring behind the nape of each baby.

If the parents are raising, I color the feet using blueberries. Alternate barefoot Chick #1, only the right foot of chick #2, both of chick 3