• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to help cockatiel when mate if passes

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block
Last week my cockatiel Moods has suffered from an injury in his foot. He has lost a bit of blood and right now he is really weak. He has been living for almost 18 or 19 years now, but I'm not sure if he will be able to recover this time. He has a mate Lily, she is 10 years old and I'm concerned about how to take care of her if anything happens to Moods. Any advice?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
@finchly may be able to give advice. Has this bird been to a vet? May need pain meds if nothing else. Birds have pain too!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
What kind of injury to the foot? It seems like a vet is your best option if your bird isn’t doing well. Your bird could potentially live another 10 years, so don’t write him off yet. If Moods does pass, it might help Lily to see the body. She will grieve just like a person, and will need time to adjust. You should give her as much attention as she wants and play music for her when you are not home. Another cockatiel might help, but only get one if you want one, and be aware that they may not get along. I hope your bird will be okay!

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block
I haven't been able to take him to the vet since they won't be able to fit him in with the avian vet. The only emergency vet closest to where I live sucks, and they weren't ever able to help my previous birds. One passed away this year due to a viral infection, and when we took her to the vet, they charged us 300$ on medicine that never worked for her, even though they new she was too sick to recover.

Moods is lowering down, he isn't getting any better. Lily has just been preening and hasn't been affected at all by his condition so far. We placed Moods next to the window so he could be able to look outside to help the time pass, and fed him some meds and cleaned his wounds. He isn't getting any better.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Contact the vet and let them know how poorly Moods is doing. Maybe they will be flexible and fit him into the avian vet's schedule.
Sorry that he is not well.
As for Lily, if Moods passes she will probably grieve and it would be good if you give her more attention and be patient as she goes through the grieving process BUT
if you can work it out somehow take Moods to the vet. He might recover with the proper treatment.
Sending positive thoughts for Moods.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
The only emergency vet closest to where I live sucks, and they weren't ever able to help my previous birds. One passed away this year due to a viral infection, and when we took her to the vet, they charged us 300$ on medicine that never worked for her, even though they new she was too sick to recover.
:( Another way to look at this is they took you in, probably for an emergency apppointment, did the exam, prescribed medicine HOPING it would help. They don’t always know. Just like we don’t know, but the bird has its best chance with a vet.

Vets do cost money but you knew that already, right?

He needs something for pain, and probably electrolytes, vitamins. He could be dehydrated if he’s not drinking enough water. Please get him some care. Let us know what happens.

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block
We got him care, but the again vet wasn't even in. This morning his fine, just weak. They said by the way he was acting that he has died from old age after living for 20 years. We did our best. I knew this day would come, he has already reached his limit. :banghead:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so sorry for your loss Moods, and I hope his little girlfriend won’t be too depressed.
:sadhug2:

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block
And please stop telling me I should have taken him to the vet sooner. The reason why we couldn't take him is because the only emergency one that we could take him too sucks. I have been there multiple times and all it did was say they didn't know what to do then give us some stupid medicine bottle that they didn't even need. There's no point in doing anything if he is dying from old age. When my cockatiel Ember was terribly sick from an infection they kept us waiting in the car for hours, then finally when they let us in they didn't know what to do. But then when we took her to another again vet that needed appointments booked, they were able to find out that there was gas in her crop from a bad diet. The only emergency vet in the city closest to us never had the avian vet who could actually see us. It was just some dog vet.