• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How To Hand Raise Hahns Macaws

mat webb

Meeting neighbors
Hi Everyone, I am looking at expanding how many birds I have and how many I am breeding. I know enough about breeding the macaws themselves but I am not sure about intervals for the feeding, how much to feed them, what to feed them and if there are any big worries/sicknesses that are present in baby hahns macaws and not in cockatiels. I have access to breeding boxes, heating boxes, cages and all the other resources needed for babies. If anyone has any answers or even suggestions about this topic I would greatly appreciate it, thankyou.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I am looking at expanding how many birds I have and how many I am breeding.
Why? The world doesn't any more backyard hobby breeders.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. I'm not aware of anyone here on the forum that breeds Hahns.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
There's enough macaws sitting in rescues just in Michigan alone. 14 in my area. Why do you want to breed more? Give these babies a home. There's 2 hahns, 3 military, one cag, one moluccan cockatoo, one caquie, and a few smaller breeds.

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
If you are asking a forum how to raise your babies, you are light years away from being ready to breed them.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I am not sure where this member lives, however not every country has rescues that take birds.
True, I will agree with you on that aspect, not every country has rescues, though if there is ways to buy the birds, there's contact info to those that have established a care facility for parrots where unwanted birds are taken.
There are international parrot organizations, there's the parrot outreach society, there's the AWC {Avian Welfare Coalition ( which I'm a member of), and there's
► Bird Rescue - Home | Facebook
Just to name a few.
:agreetodisagree: Sorry, I don't go for breeding when there are so many parrots out there that live day in and day out in a rescue or sanctuary holding, never seeing their forever home. Before you breed, I challenge you to spend a day in a rescue. Try it, it will change your outlook of breeding completely.
All to often breeding operations are simply exploiting the situation for their personal benefit at the public’s – and the birds’ – expense. :angry:

Last edited:

mat webb

Meeting neighbors
There's enough macaws sitting in rescues just in Michigan alone. 14 in my area. Why do you want to breed more? Give these babies a home. There's 2 hahns, 3 military, one cag, one moluccan cockatoo, one caquie, and a few smaller breeds.
I Live in Australia and there are not many birds other than cockatiels in shelters that I know of.

mat webb

Meeting neighbors
True, I will agree with you on that aspect, not every country has rescues, though if there is ways to buy the birds, there's contact info to those that have established a care facility for parrots where unwanted birds are taken.
There are international parrot organizations, there's the parrot outreach society, there's the AWC {Avian Welfare Coalition ( which I'm a member of), and there's
► Bird Rescue - Home | Facebook
Just to name a few.
:agreetodisagree: Sorry, I don't go for breeding when there are so many parrots out there that live day in and day out in a rescue or sanctuary holding, never seeing their forever home. Before you breed, I challenge you to spend a day in a rescue. Try it, it will change your outlook of breeding completely.
All to often breeding operations are simply exploiting the situation for their personal benefit at the public’s – and the birds’ – expense. :angry:
I dont live near any shelters and there is nothing but cockatiels and budgies in the shelters and the occasional lorikeet but large birds are rarely left without long term owners in Australia where I live.

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Well, since you seem intend on breeding them, we might as well offer some help! At least that could prevent some new traumatized youngsters..

What DO you know? Have you done breeding before or are you new to bird breeding?
Have you ever done hand feeding?
Before you start you need to have some tools ready to raise the chicks in case the parents cant, like seringes, a place to keep the chicks warm, hand feeding stuff, etc.

What have you done to do research? Do you have books?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I am asking so I can start to get close to being able to breed them. If I don't ask then I will never be able to breed them
If you don't have a personal skilled experienced mentor, your vision is going to result in a lot of heartache and doomed birds. It takes years of mentorship to do what you want.

Might I suggest a different hobby? How about ice hockey?

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Im not usually in the Macaw corner, but maybe someone from there could share some breeding stories?
Personally i wouldnt start breeding any Macaw at all if i hadn’t had the experience, but we’re not all me :)

I would start with easier species like budgies or cockatiels, but heh..

And ice hocky sucks.

Also, we could all say we wouldnt want breeding parrots when there are so many looking for a good home.. but let me play Devil’s advocate and mention all the poor children in Orphinages and 3th world country’s starving for food...
I dont think that has stopped anyone on these forums from having their own children..

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Can I ask what other birds do you have and breed?

I have no advice for breeding Hahns or any bird for that matter but I do know the breeders I have spoken to here have been more than happy to share any information and offer advice that is helpful for raising and keeping birds or pass on details for others to help you if they know more about a certain topic you need help with or a certain bird.
A few calls around to some registered breeders should get you a phone number or contact details of someone you can talk to about this who is experienced at breeding them, all of the registered breeders I've spoken to have all known of each other through one channel or another so it seems like they are quite supportive of other respected and registered breeders. Most were members of the PSOA.
There are a fair few macaw breeders I have spoken to in a few different states (while looking for my baby I think I called nearly every place in Aus that breeds macaws, lol) most of them seem to breed larger macaws or the YCM's. I think there may be one who advertises in the BirdKeeper magazine (this is only from memory which is not the best lol) who was breeding and selling Hahns as well as some other larger macaws.
Maybe your local bird club can help you out by introducing you to some Hahns breeders?

Welcome to the Avenue :)

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I Live in Australia and there are not many birds other than cockatiels in shelters that I know of.
Hi mat,
Australia huh? Welcome to forum. In some countries mat, they don't advertise " shelters" or rescues...In some countries it's primarily word of mouth. Mainly because it is viewed as shameful and there's those that steal them as well for personal gain. Take brazil for example, you'd be hard pressed to find a rescue...are they out there? If course they are. It's usually kept secret and by word of mouth, and you find your parrot. People steal them if advertised on a rescue for their personal gain and resold on black market.
As shezbug mention, there are breeders there in Australia, and respectable breeders will know where and who has a bird that's no longer wanted and how to obtain it. Trust me they're there, just takes a bit of searching and leg work.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I am asking so I can start to get close to being able to breed them. If I don't ask then I will never be able to breed them
Breeding babies is round the clock work mat,
it's not exactly a cake walk. I assume you have an area large enough for breeding or possible room for Avery. May I suggest, instead of breeding, and since they don't have rescues there( that you can readily find), why not start your own rescue.
You see without a rescue, most people, even there, will just fine a way to get rid of a bird if They don't want it anymore, and if they can't find a rescue place, who knows what happens to the bird. And I've seen some pretty sick horror involving parrots in my life time. You don't even want to hear it....it will put you in tears and bring you to your knees.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
From what I've heard Hahns are not too difficult to breed. I have heard that getting parent-raised breeders makes a big difference.

mat webb

Meeting neighbors
Well, since you seem intend on breeding them, we might as well offer some help! At least that could prevent some new traumatized youngsters..

What DO you know? Have you done breeding before or are you new to bird breeding?
Have you ever done hand feeding?
Before you start you need to have some tools ready to raise the chicks in case the parents cant, like seringes, a place to keep the chicks warm, hand feeding stuff, etc.

What have you done to do research? Do you have books?
I have hand-raised and breed cockatiels and i have access to all hand-raising tools needed.

mat webb

Meeting neighbors
Hi mat,
Australia huh? Welcome to forum. In some countries mat, they don't advertise " shelters" or rescues...In some countries it's primarily word of mouth. Mainly because it is viewed as shameful and there's those that steal them as well for personal gain. Take brazil for example, you'd be hard pressed to find a rescue...are they out there? If course they are. It's usually kept secret and by word of mouth, and you find your parrot. People steal them if advertised on a rescue for their personal gain and resold on black market.
As shezbug mention, there are breeders there in Australia, and respectable breeders will know where and who has a bird that's no longer wanted and how to obtain it. Trust me they're there, just takes a bit of searching and leg work.
I have talked to many large and small scale breeders and bird keepers where I live and none of them are aware of a rescue except for an adoption program which deals with smalled birds such as tiels (which i already have) and lories or cockatoos