• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to get stuck on food off of the wall???

Barnaby Rose

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Barnaby
Does anybody have any suggestions for getting REALLY stuck on food off of the walls...? I feed fresh food (mixed vegetable mash with sweet potato/squash) twice a day, and both of the birds (especially my baby grey) LOVES to throw his food all over the place and for the life of me I cannot get it off of the wall. Like it is literally like painted onto the wall permenantly.
I have sprayed it down with several bird safe solutions (avi clean and etc), used a hard bristled brush, tried one of the heavy duty sponges with the wires on the flip side, even tried scraping it with a paint/spackle chizzle and short of literally taking the paint right off of the wall, it will not come off. Am I missing something?? Help!!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
try 3/4 vinegar 1/4 hot water in sprayer bottle. let it sit for a few minutes then scrub. I use scotch brite green scrubby.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
a hand held steamer would work too.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I was going to suggest putting some heavy vinyl or plastic sheeting up on the wall. but you have to watch it very carefully. air it out well, because it gives off fumes. a shower curtain/s would work. then make sure they can't play with it or shred it.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Not a huge help for your current situation, but in my last apartment, I hung a shower curtain behind the bird cages. It looked pretty, totally protected the wall, and was very easy to clean. Might be something to consider if food on the wall is a frequent occurrence.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Oh that's a good idea... I swear it's like I need to put vinyl or plastic wrap or something up all around their feeding/play areas Crazy chickens....
That was going to be my suggestion ...

EllaMay

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
For all stuck food on walls I use Poop Off Spray, after spraying I let it sit for 5 mins comes easily with no issues couldn't live without it. :cool:

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I dont worry about food on the walls, its either on me, the floor or Zoe:giggle:

ElisaS

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Elisa Jarvi
Been there and done that! Poop off works for me if I reapply and let it set a few times.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I also hung a clear plastic shower curtain liner behind the cage. One other thing you can do is to feed the birds the messy, soft foods on the kitchen counter where you can clean up more easily.

Barnaby Rose

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Barnaby
I also hung a clear plastic shower curtain liner behind the cage. One other thing you can do is to feed the birds the messy, soft foods on the kitchen counter where you can clean up more easily.
That is a great idea. Will try starting that tomorrow

Barnaby Rose

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Barnaby
Been there and done that! Poop off works for me if I reapply and let it set a few times.
Ok I am convinced, I googled it and couldn't find it, someone send me a link?? Would love to try it
B

Laura729

Jogging around the block
@Barnaby Rose Here's a link for Poop Off (you can purchase it other places as well): Amazon.com : Poop-Off Bird Poop Remover Sprayer, 32-Ounce : Pet Odor And Stain Removers : Pet Supplies

Not a huge help for your current situation, but in my last apartment, I hung a shower curtain behind the bird cages. It looked pretty, totally protected the wall, and was very easy to clean. Might be something to consider if food on the wall is a frequent occurrence.
I also have a shower curtain (you can find great, decorative or even plain/inconspicuous ones on Amazon, depending on what you like) behind Charlie's cage. AND I found this stuff that I put on the small side wall next to his cage. It's removable, and food wipes off easily: Amazon.com: DC Fix 346-0306 Adhesive Film, Grey Marble 45cm x 2m: Home Improvement

Here's a photo showing it on the wall (and the shower curtain behind), I need some more to cover the rest, but I also hang up random (free) prints-outs, cards etc on that wall to protect it and for Charlie to look at (I call it his "inspiration wall" :roflmao:). Then I just swap them out as needed.

IMG_5874.JPG

Last edited:

The Janitor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tom
For fresher spots, hot water works great. Even older spots it will work, you just have to let it sit for a while to soften up. Other options are vinegar water, dish soap, or industrial cleaners. Of course, not everyone has access to the last! Mr Clean magic erasers are wonderful as well, depending on the surface.

Tim

Avenue Veteran
For all stuck food on walls I use Poop Off Spray, after spraying I let it sit for 5 mins comes easily with no issues couldn't live without it. :cool:
That works for us, too!