• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to get my budgies to eat vegetables??

SpaceLatte

Moving in
Real Name
Arielle
So I have been trying to get both on my budgies to eat fruits and vegetables but they keep ignoring it!
Either that, they keep throwing them out of their food bowl. Any advice on getting them to eat more healthy??
All they are eating right now are seeds. Thanks :)

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
So I have been trying to get both on my budgies to eat fruits and vegetables but they keep ignoring it!
Either that, they keep throwing them out of their food bowl. Any advice on getting them to eat more healthy??
All they are eating right now are seeds. Thanks :)
I can't get mine to eat fruit either but according to my vet, budgies don't really have a sweet tooth. You don't want to have too much sugar in their diets anyway.

You can check out this thread, Converting Parrots to a Healthier Diet - Tips for tips!

I would suggest introducing pellets to your budgies' diets and also sprouts! Preeno took to sprouts quite well and they're nutritious. With veggies it can be hit-and-miss so you just got to keep trying and seeing which they show an interest in. Mine likes salad leaves, romaine lettuce, sugar snaps and broccoli (sometimes). Budgies seem to be picky birds!

With veggies you can experiment with how you give them - by hand, attaching it to the side of cages, using it as part of a foraging activity. Preeno seems to show an interest when I'm not watching her eat :laughing2:

SpaceLatte

Moving in
Real Name
Arielle
I can't get mine to eat fruit either but according to my vet, budgies don't really have a sweet tooth. You don't want to have too much sugar in their diets anyway.

You can check out this thread, Converting Parrots to a Healthier Diet - Tips for tips!

I would suggest introducing pellets to your budgies' diets and also sprouts! Preeno took to sprouts quite well and they're nutritious. With veggies it can be hit-and-miss so you just got to keep trying and seeing which they show an interest in. Mine likes salad leaves, romaine lettuce, sugar snaps and broccoli (sometimes). Budgies seem to be picky birds!

With veggies you can experiment with how you give them - by hand, attaching it to the side of cages, using it as part of a foraging activity. Preeno seems to show an interest when I'm not watching her eat :laughing2:
oh ok! Thank you! Ill try that! :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Have a look into ¨sprouted seeds¨, very popular amongst seed loving birds :)
You can buy the seeds and sprout them, or buy ready made mixes.
Another good link: My Chop "Recipe" (scroll down for some feeding tips)

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Lots of budgies also like quinoa, which is a healthy grain you can offer cooked or sprouted.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Start with brocolli it's pretty cheap. Just pin it up in a few places around where they hang out and let them 'discover' a new food. Can do the same with carrot sticks, sugarsnap peas, anything that can fit the clips. If you've no clips squeeze the veg between the bars.
Once they're eating a veg add it to their food. It takes a while but you will get there.
You can also sprinkle a little millet over their veg, they will at least taste it whilst digging those precious seeds out.

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
My guys love, I mean really love, wheat grass! I get it at the grocery store in the organic produce section. I think a lot of people who do juicing buy wheat grass. The one I like best is grown hydroponically and still has the roots attached. I take it out of the fridge, cut off a section with the roots attached, let it come to room temp and clip it to the side of their cage. Once in a while Buddy will nip my hand if I'm too slow putting it in. They are usually sitting beside where I put it just waiting for me to move my hand. When I can't get the hydroponically grown, another grocery store has it in little plastic pots in soil. I just clip some off, tie it with a paper ribbon and clip it to their cage. I also got a kit from Amazon of a mixture of organic grass seeds to grow. I found it in the cat supply section. Sometimes I mix another herb in with their grass.
eat outside.jpg

clarousel

Are you guys able to get your budgies to eat coloured veggies?

Reactions: Ali

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Mine don't eat fresh colored veggies but I feed them freeze dried which has red cabbage, carrot and other colored veggies. They eat that. I think its a matter of how small you can chop the veggies. Clipping a piece of carrot to the cage didn't work for me but maybe if I made a fresh chop where the veggies were cut up very small, they might eat that. I'll have to try it.