• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to get my bird to trust me more and be less stressed?

Myah33012

Moving in
Real Name
Myah
Hello I have 2 cockatiels and lately one of them has got conjunctivitis and we have been treating her but alas she doesn’t understand this and is always stressed and scared and I have no idea what to do, I let them out but once it’s her medication time she doesn’t seem to trust me until I spend another hour with her. I want her to trust me but these meds are necessary for her.. so I’m really really stumped on what to do, I don’t want them to be stressed and suffer but like I said meds are important too!

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Sometimes you have to do something even if the birds aren’t happy with it.

I think it was @Kassiani who also had a dilemma like this

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Does it have chlamydia?
I had to treat mine for a.real long time. Making a routine/ ritual talk them through it with same phrases have a certain treatment spot. And trying to end each treatment on a postive note. After treatment I talked to them and gsve a treat .

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi Myah,

Yes, I've been through something similar, and probably will continue to go through this with one of my budgies. He was on an antibiotic for 2 weeks and an anti-fungal for 45 days. I'm now just monitoring him to see how he is doing. Because he has liver disease, his beak and nails grow very rapidly. I will need to either trim them myself or take him to the vet again very soon.

Here is the thread where I received some very good advice and encouragement. I hope you find it helpful!

"Everything must be voluntary"

Myah33012

Moving in
Real Name
Myah
Hello people, sorry for the late reply and thank you for all your response, I’ll take your guy’s feedback so thank you all :)

Myah33012

Moving in
Real Name
Myah
Does it have chlamydia?
I had to treat mine for a.real long time. Making a routine/ ritual talk them through it with same phrases have a certain treatment spot. And trying to end each treatment on a postive note. After treatment I talked to them and gsve a treat .
No she doesn’t have chlamydia, she’s been a champ and has been eating very well, from what I read about chlamydia and it’s symptoms she seems not to have it, she just has conjunctivitis but thank you for your concern and comment!

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Something I read in an article from a zoo keeper: when you have to catch/medicate bird, always let the bird know. This zoo keeper used a coloured towel(always the same color) and hung it on the outside of the cage. This way the bird knew when the nasty stuff was going to happen and didn’t need the be afraid all the time. Perhaps that will help ease the mind of your Tiel?