• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to get from cage to cage? And sleep with TV on?

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Hi all:

I’m picking up my weaned baby yellow sided green cheek conure on Saturday and I have some really baseline questions that I have not seen answered in the books or videos I’ve looked at. How do I get him from his travel cage to his home cage if holding one cage against another cage door is not feasible? And then once he’s in there, how do I get him back out 5 days later to bring him for his wellness vet check —assuming he’s not miraculously stepping up onto my hand? I want to prioritized his health but also don’t want to f up our training relationship less than a week in!
Part two: I assume it’s too much to transfer him from his daytime cage to nighttime (and out of cage area) cage until he’s settled in and willing to step up and be carried right? If so, then my question is will he be able to sleep with the TV on if he’s covered at night or, alternatively, sleep in late in the morning to get twelve hours of sleep if my kids, dogs and I are next to his cage (in the same room)? We can try being quiet but not sure how realistic that is.
So many questions....
Thank you

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
’m picking up my weaned baby yellow sided green cheek conure on Saturday and I have some really baseline questions that I have not seen answered in the books or videos I’ve looked at. How do I get him from his travel cage to his home cage if holding one cage against another cage door is not feasible
Mojo was just in a small cardboard box from the breeder so i just put the box in the cage opened the flaps of the box and she was in heer new house.
Hi all:

And then once he’s in there, how do I get him back out 5 days later to bring him for his wellness vet check —assuming he’s not miraculously stepping up onto my hand? I want to prioritized his health but also don’t want to f up our training relationship less than a week in!
I agree with this imo the most important thing for me has been building trust with Mojo she stepped up for the first time yesterday after 19 days of her being my new best friend imo i wouldnt compromise the trust you start to build by getting him out of the cage for a vet visit ( but that is just me however i would say we need to make choices baes on our own thoughts and feelings on our babys and i personally wouldnt disagree with what you are saying )
Part two: I assume it’s too much to transfer him from his daytime cage to nighttime (and out of cage area) cage until he’s settled in and willing to step up and be carried right? If so, then my question is will he be able to sleep with the TV on if he’s covered at night or, alternatively, sleep in late in the morning to get twelve hours of sleep if my kids, dogs and I are next to his cage (in the same room)? We can try being quiet but not sure how realistic that is.
So many questions....
I am currently sittiing watching the TV Mojo is well away ( UK terminolagy for sleeping ) however the only light in the room is the TV and my Fishtank ( my fishtank light doesnt go of until 12.45 it will go off one hour earlier when the uk daylight changes happen.

Mojo also isnt covered :banghead:

I might be throwing a cat amongs the pidgeons with my following comment your bird will need to get 12 hours sleep this is based on wild birds that need to constantly search for food durig the day , birds that are constanly predated in the wild birds that have never been in a house in Liverpool :facepalm:

I am not doubting anything i have read via google or on this forum with regards sleeping Mojo is asleep she is happy and i am happy siting watching her sleep.

I am not advising you can or you cant imo this house my home is also Mojo's home we will adapt and overcome and learn to live together

@Sparkles will be ble to advise better than me though i am doing things my way but for me thats the right way

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Mojo was just in a small cardboard box from the breeder so i just put the box in the cage opened the flaps of the box and she was in heer new house.
First of all, “not trying to throw a cat amongst the pigeons” wins the day and I’m stealing that expression for sure!
Yep I’m having a tough time with the whole vet appointment thing. My heart wants to reschedule but my brain isn’t so sure.
‘I wish I had thought about the initial transfer issue in advance so that I bought a travel cage that could be inserted into the permanent cage but I knew that the bird store I am getting her from requires a travel cage and so I bought a heavy one that is “car safe’ (because you know, in my mind, bird and I are already taking long roadtrips!)
Ok I think sleeping with the tv on will probably work and it’s a really interesting point you make about the need for sleep perhaps being informed by lifestyle. I’m aiming for a bird spa life -you know all the things I can’t afford to give myself lol!, so maybe late night tv won’t mess up her beauty rest.
‘thanks for sharing info. I appreciate it.

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If this helps, my many years of GCC has taught me that they don’t hold grudges as often as some other species can. I have needed at times to unceremoniously pluck a GC from a cage, and while the the Shanghaied individual certainly wasn’t happy I did so during the event, they bore me no real ill will afterwards. Toweling (if needed) can make them towel shy, and rough hands can make them hand shy. But if you must pick between the two, pick the towel method.
In Mojo’s case @Wardy she is coming from being handfed but then released into an aviary situation by her original breeder, so there’s going to be more convincing (and romancing, lol) Wardy is doing. And sounds like his way is doing great! it’s working!!

FiatLux, you are getting a baby that some human has had their hands on every day for the past 10-12 weeks to feed. If I had to guess, it’s not going to be at all hand shy. S/he may not step up, but you will be able to scoop and plop. I don’t foresee him going into the cage and just refusing to transfer or come back out. I think you should keep the vet appointment.

As far as the TV being background noise, totally fine. I try to make sure that during the deep hours of sleep (midnight to 4am) that my house’s noise is minimal. But that’s me. Some birds are like people and absolute crab butts if their beauty sleep is interrupted… but most conures aren’t. Because they’ll sleep whenever and however they want. They’re independent, adorable little turds like that.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
If this helps, my many years of GCC has taught me that they don’t hold grudges as often as some other species can. I have needed at times to unceremoniously pluck a GC from a cage, and while the the Shanghaied individual certainly wasn’t happy I did so during the event, they bore me no real ill will afterwards. Toweling (if needed) can make them towel shy, and rough hands can make them hand shy. But if you must pick between the two, pick the towel method.
In Mojo’s case @Wardy she is coming from being handfed but then released into an aviary situation by her original breeder, so there’s going to be more convincing (and romancing, lol) Wardy is doing. And sounds like his way is doing great! it’s working!!

FiatLux, you are getting a baby that some human has had their hands on every day for the past 10-12 weeks to feed. If I had to guess, it’s not going to be at all hand shy. S/he may not step up, but you will be able to scoop and plop. I don’t foresee him going into the cage and just refusing to transfer or come back out. I think you should keep the vet appointment.

As far as the TV being background noise, totally fine. I try to make sure that during the deep hours of sleep (midnight to 4am) that my house’s noise is minimal. But that’s me. Some birds are like people and absolute crab butts if their beauty sleep is interrupted… but most conures aren’t. Because they’ll sleep whenever and however they want. They’re independent, adorable little turds like that.
Super helpful and reassuring. And why do bird people have the funniest expressions? Signed, a crab butt.