• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to get budgies to hold still while weighing them?

DukeSR8

Moving in
Real Name
Matthew Ross
Trying to weigh all 6 of mine and so far: 2 are fine with it, 1 IDK because the scale stopped working when I tried, 2 untamed that take a long time to catch (and they refuse to go into the smaller cage so I can take them into the bathroom and tame them there. I use that room because that way no distractions from other birds) and 1 nightmare that thinks thrashing about when being held on the scale will make the process go faster.

Any advice for getting my budgies to hold still while being weighed? It'd be easier if weighing time took 10 minutes instead of 2-3 hours.

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
How do you typically weigh them? What is your current process?

JayBudgiz

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jay
Put scale in cage. Put food on the scale to keep them there. Don't grab them otherwise they won't trust you and it'll be harder to tame them.
Start using food to get them places instead of grabbing them.

DukeSR8

Moving in
Real Name
Matthew Ross
How do you typically weigh them? What is your current process?
My current process is:

-Get a gram scale from the kitchen (though I think it needs new batteries)

-Get my Saint Bernard out of my room if she's in there

-Close the door (this happens every time everyone comes out of the cage)

-Convince a tame budgie to step up and get it onto the scale (which usually takes a try or two depending on their mood)

-Record their current weight in Notes app on my phone

-Put budgie back in cage and repeat, only grabbing the ones that are untamed (they were like this with their previous owners, have no idea how old they currently are but they have 0 interest in being tamed)

-Gently hold the untamed budgie to the scale and get their weight (Planned but didn't happen because scale had issues)

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
There are a couple of options for weighing untamed birds. Simplest method is take a container that will fit on the scale, like a cardboard box or even a travel cage, if you have a big scale or a small travel cage. Put it on the scale to zero it out, then put the bird into the container to weigh it. They can't fly off in the middle of the operation and usually settle down once they are contained.

Another hands-free method, if they are slightly tame but will not tolerate being grabbed, would be to train them to land on a T stand perch or similar and then put the perch on the scale to weigh them.

Sometimes just putting the stand on the scale is enough and they will land there on their own out of curiosity.

I am thinking of something like this:

If you forget to zero out the scale with the perch on it, just write down the combined weight and then weigh the empty perch and subtract it to get the bird's weight.

Another option involves time and sneakiness, but might be the best option for budgies that resist training and don't do hands. Set-up the t-perch somewhere the budgies like to land and teach them it is a great place to find free millet. Next, position the scale under the perch and continue to offer millet and treats at this awesome location. Lastly, add a millet spary or similar treat, then zero out the scale and wait for one of your untamed budgies to land while pretending to be uninterested in the totally awesome millet perch. Read the number before they fly off. Mission accomplished.

Ideally, you want to make it easy and rewarding for the birds to land on the scale so it isn't a traumatic experience for you both. Not always easy, but definitely possible.

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
I have luke trained that he gets his breakfast after he sits on the scale. Sometimes he gets hyper and runs off too quick and I just have to get him back on it. when he sees his breakfast he knows he has to go on it lol

Also I put a perch on it for him to sit!

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
I bought a slim flat scale, and I pretend it is an iPad and I don’t want my budgies to get on it. It works a treat, they happily climb on. As we all know, budgies love what we humans don’t want them to do!