• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to get budgies to eat fruit & veg

Mollylc

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Molly
Hi,
Does anyone know how to get budgie to eat fruit and veg. I have tried leaving it in their cage and then replace it the next day but that didn’t work and leaving fruit in the cage means it goes brown so I end up taking it out after a few hours. I have tried hand feeding them it but they just don’t want it. I have hung it in their cage but yet again they are not interested. They get treats like fruit bars but I have read they are not good for them. I am also in the process of taming one of my budgie so they do get millet. The food they eat is the food below which they love. But I do want them on the best diet. Also any suggestions on what fruit and veg I should be giving them. A3DACAD1-89E3-4992-B753-2618B6E1C033.jpeg

Attachments

JoJo&Loki

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kelly
The best thing to do is keep trying. Keep trying different fruits and veg (mostly veg though), keep trying different ways of “presenting” it to them too. Some birds like it wet and hanging from the cage roof, some like chop etc.
Sometimes they don’t recognize new foods as food and sprinkle seeds or sprouts on it helps.

I always remove it after 2 hours, especially since the weather is now warmer here so unfortunately it goes bad quickly.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Try some of these tricks :)

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
@Mizzely posted a great link. She also has a great mash recipe I follow. I recommend making vegetable mash. Where you chop/process different veggies really small. And mix seeds in it every day. Give it in the mornings, when they are hungry. At the very least, they have to pick through the veggies to get their seeds.:) Be mindful that birds usually don't need much fruit, but veggies are very welcome.

Mollylc

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Molly
The best thing to do is keep trying. Keep trying different fruits and veg (mostly veg though), keep trying different ways of “presenting” it to them too. Some birds like it wet and hanging from the cage roof, some like chop etc.
Sometimes they don’t recognize new foods as food and sprinkle seeds or sprouts on it helps.

I always remove it after 2 hours, especially since the weather is now warmer here so unfortunately it goes bad quickly.
Thank you

Mollylc

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Molly
Try some of these tricks :)

Thank you this really helped

mak

I only had success with hand feeding mine new fruit. It takes a while till they will try it.

BirdWorld

I got mine to try strawberries by covering the berries in millet. Now that’s their favorite treat, and they are much more open to trying new things! :dance4:
It also might help to put the fruit and veggies in their food bowl so they can realize it’s supposed to be eaten.