• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to encourage training ?

Haroobom

Strolling the yard
I got a cockatiel 5 days ago, on the first night I left her in the cage, the next few days when I took her out she would let me put her on the different perches I had set up across my room. Now when I take her out she does step up but as soon as she's totall out she flies across the room and does not let me touch her until she's ready to go back into her cage (by night usually) I have a clicker but have not started training as she's not interested/ignores the food on my hand therefore I don't know what's her treat of choice. Any advice ? I was told by the breeder she was 2.5 mo but from a previous post done by me on this forum I found out maybe she's older... I don't know if she's not taking food from my hand since she's older or because she's young aviary raised and does not trust me.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Bump

anurim

Strolling the yard
Maybe try and start the training in the cage? See if while she is in there, she has other reactions (accepting treats from your hand, stepping up more etc.) She is probably adjusting to her new home, so maybe give her a bit more time since she does not trust you yet.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
You're going to have to get her habituated to taking treats from your hand. However, you need to figure out the treat/food/reward she values most. For my macaws, that's nut pieces, often pine nuts. However, my hyacinth prefers to be scritched for a reward. You can put several possible treat items in her cage and see what she picks first. Withhold that food/reward except for training. This may take a long time, so buckle in and be patient.

Some people may advocate clipping the bird's wings, as she'd rely on you then and quickly realize that she's dependent on you for transport. I did that with one of my macaws, and have regretted it since. Sure, we bonded much faster, but there was a negative impact on her flight skills. I don't recommend it.

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
If the bird won't take treats directly, try setting the treat down near her and walking away. She still might refuse, if she doesn't feel safe. Keep trying. Eventually, she should get curious and check it out.

Haroobom

Strolling the yard
You're going to have to get her habituated to taking treats from your hand. However, you need to figure out the treat/food/reward she values most. For my macaws, that's nut pieces, often pine nuts. However, my hyacinth prefers to be scritched for a reward. You can put several possible treat items in her cage and see what she picks first. Withhold that food/reward except for training. This may take a long time, so buckle in and be patient.

Some people may advocate clipping the bird's wings, as she'd rely on you then and quickly realize that she's dependent on you for transport. I did that with one of my macaws, and have regretted it since. Sure, we bonded much faster, but there was a negative impact on her flight skills. I don't recommend it.
I won't clip her, my ultimate goal is free flight and I know she won't be ready anytime soon but I still won't hinder her flight