• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to encourage play

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
What’s a good way to encourage play in a bird? He has a variety of toys, but none of them seem to fit his fancy. I’ve been trying to show him how to play with his toys by using my fingers to play with them. Should I keep showing him how to play and keep on with a variety of toys or is there another thing I should be doing?

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
KiKi has always been a perch potato with the exception of foraging she really didnt bother with toy's, i started holding her foot toys for her to chew on when she come out of her cage or just a piece of card for her to shred to get her interested.
a good variety is good though balsa,chippy pine,sola,cardboard and paper,leather,mahogany pods and cork are all enjoyed by mine but they are changeable KiKi wouldnt chew anything in her cage started on balsa will now only bother with pine and Mojo has decided balsa is for her :nocomment:

the above is worth a read

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
My cockatiel was lazy when it came to playing with toys. Balsa and vine were his favorite. Foraging was the biggest hit. I did a lot of DIY for him. Some of his favorites were fingertraps, pinecones, braided paper balls, little paper pockets I would hang around the cage. You can also provide enrichment by gradually covering her food or treat bowl with paper until she has to tear it open to eat. This even works well with my budgies.