• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to determine age?

harpy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily Loren (Emmy)
Hi everyone,

so I recently adopted a female Indian Ringneck from a shelter here in Melbourne Australia. She was a lost and found that was there for several months that no one claimed (after months of searching for the owners). The avian vet couldn’t tell her age, he said he can only tell if they’re under a year or geriatric and she was neither.

She has a red leg band that says:
023 aus1 S7

I’m pretty sure “aus1” is a generic leg band that some website sells. I don’t think she is from a registered breeder.

Are there any other ways of telling a Ringneck’s approximate age? She is also missing a toe nail which I’m assuming was bitten off by another bird. She was out in the “wild” for a bit for an unknown amount of time. She’s a bit of a mystery!

Thank you

Attachments

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
She’s absolutely gorgeous! I’m not sure how to determine age but I’m sure she she will be very happy with you.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Afraid there's no way of knowing beyond what the avian vet said - we can tell when they're juveniles or very old but very little inbetween. Is she DNA tested as female? It takes a couple of years for the ring to come in for males, so young males and female IRNs all look similar.

I'll tag in @Shezbug who may know more about the code on the legband.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
She sure is cute!

I am afraid I don’t know much about leg band code reading, I did notice that the code is quite different from the code on Burt’s band though.
I would probably call around a few bird clubs or breeders of Ringnecks in Melbourne to see if anyone can help. I did find that often the breeders I have spoken to seemed to know of a lot of the other breeders so you may get some help that way.

Welcome the Avenue:) it always makes me happy to see more people from my home state join the forum!

harpy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily Loren (Emmy)
Afraid there's no way of knowing beyond what the avian vet said - we can tell when they're juveniles or very old but very little inbetween. Is she DNA tested as female? It takes a couple of years for the ring to come in for males, so young males and female IRNs all look similar.

I'll tag in @Shezbug who may know more about the code on the legband.
No she’s not DNA tested but I’m fairly certain she’s female as she gets flirty when you pat her (only on the head) and sticks her butt in the air... Lol

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I’ve asked another person who also asked another person (all breed birds here in Aus) but none of us know about your particular band.
I personally would be guessing it was strictly for the breeders personal records. But I’m not 100% sure.

harpy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily Loren (Emmy)
Th
I’ve asked another person who also asked another person (all breed birds here in Aus) but none of us know about your particular band.
I personally would be guessing it was strictly for the breeders personal records. But I’m not 100% sure.
Thank you for checking for me :heart:

harpy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily Loren (Emmy)
Apparently bands with “aus1” are generic bands bought from a website called “Lentradirect”. “aus1” is the generic code labelled on them for those that don’t want personalised bands so usually unregistered breeders

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I do know some breeders only use bands so they have an easy ID for the sexing. Or for their own records.

I think you may spend many many hours researching and finding out nothing of use unfortunately. In my case I was able to ask the breeder what all the numbers and letters meant because I know where my bird comes from.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
You can contact the band manufacturer and ask them if they might be able to tell you when the band was made. If they make multiple bands with the same code though, it gets tougher.

Now, it wont tell you how old she is, but it could tell you that she is possibly less than the age of the band... i.e. if band was made in 2013, then you know she's 6 or under.

I don't know if they would know or be willing to share information on who they sold the band to though...

harpy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily Loren (Emmy)
Apparently there are 6 colours for certain years that restart after 6 years. Eg. Birds born this year are meant to have a black ring. that means she was born in 2018? 2012?
:shocking:
... Maybe the breeder just put any old colour on and it all means nothing :laughing2:

I’m so intrigued now... I feel like a detective:cantsee:

Attachments

harpy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily Loren (Emmy)
You can contact the band manufacturer and ask them if they might be able to tell you when the band was made. If they make multiple bands with the same code though, it gets tougher.

Now, it wont tell you how old she is, but it could tell you that she is possibly less than the age of the band... i.e. if band was made in 2013, then you know she's 6 or under.

I don't know if they would know or be willing to share information on who they sold the band to though...
I think I will send them an email... it can’t harm in asking!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I spent a ton of time looking into Buddy's cuff (I'm in the us). It managed to tell me nothing except that I really loved him to do all the work to try. Your girl is darling! :kiss2: Did you get a name or re-name her & what is it?

We like to know our birdy names on AA.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
You could also try emailing someone in the parrot society, someone who deals with IRN. Parrot Society of Australia - Avi-Trader
Once you find the right person, they may know the person who uses these bands etc.

harpy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily Loren (Emmy)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Even if you couldn't find the breeder, at least you have a little more info about her! :) That's still pretty awesome! :D

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Very awesome! They got back to you so fast too :) Well done with your researching!