• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to continue in training.

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Are you able to predict that he'll bite at all?

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Hahaha well like I was just working with Galahad because when I give him a treat he gets overexcited and bites my finger half the time. Fortunately when he bites he drops the treat so that combined with "no bite" helps him figure it out. But he by no means is cured. He's a nippy little jerk some days.

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Loki is kind of a butt when it comes to treat, she can get aggressive over them.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I had a cockatiel that did not like skin. He would only step on my covered arm, but despite this he was the best little friend. He didn’t go so far as to bite my neck though. I think your bird became fearful of skin when he was at the pet store, so you are going to have to show him over time that skin isn’t scary. Offer him treats before the bites, and try distracting him with toys or food. Keep the shoulder sessions really short, or you might need to keep him off your shoulder until he gets more used to skin. Definitely don’t use the earthquake method because that will only make him loose trust.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What about doing this immediately...

Step up & an immediate step down. Then reward. Do it over & over where you make him process possibly faster then he can think & act on bite skin. I did this & still do periodically where he has to get up get down thrn reward...

May stop some of this biting but may take some consistant training & time. Or just don't give exposed skin...

*fingers crossed* this works itself out.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Okay another question... How have you been teaching step up using target training? Can you go into detail on that?

Yoshi&Raphi

Real Name
Raphi
What about doing this immediately...

Step up & an immediate step down. Then reward. Do it over & over where you make him process possibly faster then he can think & act on bite skin. I did this & still do periodically where he has to get up get down thrn reward...

May stop some of this biting but may take some consistant training & time. Or just don't give exposed skin...

*fingers crossed* this works itself out.
It’s pretty difficult to do this the minute he’s on my hand he’s biting.

Yoshi&Raphi

Real Name
Raphi
I had a cockatiel that did not like skin. He would only step on my covered arm, but despite this he was the best little friend. He didn’t go so far as to bite my neck though. I think your bird became fearful of skin when he was at the pet store, so you are going to have to show him over time that skin isn’t scary. Offer him treats before the bites, and try distracting him with toys or food. Keep the shoulder sessions really short, or you might need to keep him off your shoulder until he gets more used to skin. Definitely don’t use the earthquake method because that will only make him loose trust.
I think this is what I’m going to do, hopefully he will eventually realise my skin is not a threat.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It’s pretty difficult to do this the minute he’s on my hand he’s biting.
I think in your situation that target training is advised like @Monica is trying to suggest. I don't know what I was thinking, not smart. I know there is a ton on this site located here:

The Training Court | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

I also recommend a T perch until the nonsense of attacking your skin is fixed. Go slow, & try to not force things.

Good luck to you both!

Yoshi&Raphi

Real Name
Raphi
I think in your situation that target training is advised like @Monica is trying to suggest. I don't know what I was thinking, not smart. I know there is a ton on this site located here:

The Training Court | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

I also recommend a T perch until the nonsense of attacking your skin is fixed. Go slow, & try to not force things.

Good luck to you both!
Thanks I have been doing target training for most of the time I have had him so I’m not sure if that will remedy the problem at this point but we can hope!

I have decided to wear a hoodie when he’s on me and just adapt to him. Maybe he will eventually get over his skin hatred and maybe he won’t either way I’ll keep him and spoil him for as long as he lives.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
I have decided to wear a hoodie when he’s on me and just adapt to him.
:sadhug2: I definitely understand.

Its been almost two years since I adopted Luna and I still use a towel to cover my hand when I do step up with him. It has definitely become easier though, since Luna doesnt hesitate anymore and even feels comfortable flying to perch on my lap (as long as the towel is there). And instead of real bites, he gives me warning bites now and again. For me, I do some trick training with him but its only hands off exercises given my limitations with him.

Yoshi&Raphi

Real Name
Raphi
:sadhug2: I definitely understand.

Its been almost two years since I adopted Luna and I still use a towel to cover my hand when I do step up with him. It has definitely become easier though, since Luna doesnt hesitate anymore and even feels comfortable flying to perch on my lap (as long as the towel is there). And instead of real bites, he gives me warning bites now and again. For me, I do some trick training with him but its only hands off exercises given my limitations with him.
It’s nice to know someone’s in the same situation, Yoshi constantly hops/ flys to me and cherishes hanging out together he just can’t handle my skin :depressed:.

How old is Luna? Are they a Quaker?

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
How old is Luna? Are they a Quaker?
Luna is a Senegal parrot. From what I was told, the person who placed him at the rescue said she had him since he was a baby so he should be about 8 years old now. But I was also told that he ate pellets and had free reign of the house -- which didnt seem to be the case as he definitely did not seem interested in anything but nuts and seeds, and (even after growing in his flight feathers, which had been cut when I adopted him) he seemed like he has only learned to fly since Ive had him -- so I take his history with a grain of salt.

Sennies are known to be loyal to their one person, though, so I have just assumed that the slow trust building timeline between Luna and me may have to also do with his grief of losing his prior home :(

Yoshi&Raphi

Real Name
Raphi
Luna is a Senegal parrot. From what I was told, the person who placed him at the rescue said she had him since he was a baby so he should be about 8 years old now. But I was also told that he ate pellets and had free reign of the house -- which didnt seem to be the case as he definitely did not seem interested in anything but nuts and seeds, and (even after growing in his flight feathers, which had been cut when I adopted him) he seemed like he has only learned to fly since Ive had him -- so I take his history with a grain of salt.

Sennies are known to be loyal to their one person, though, so I have just assumed that the slow trust building timeline between Luna and me may have to also do with his grief of losing his prior home :(
Aww poor baby, It’s sad that they lied to you.