• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to clean up after hand feeding? Worse than an infant!

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
My new little nerd (can’t figure out a name! Please offer suggestions ) is nearly weaned - he’s eating formula twice a day and nibbling on food-food otherwise.

But good heavens, the MESS after feeding.
How do y’all clean your babies? I’ve tried using a paper towel, and a damp paper towel, and it generally results in an argument between he and I.

Attachments

Cosmo305

Strolling the yard
I have no idea - just wanted to tell you that your baby is super cute!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
A warm wet face cloth usually works well. Even if he does not like it, you have to do it as it is a health issue.

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My new little nerd (can’t figure out a name! Please offer suggestions ) is nearly weaned - he’s eating formula twice a day and nibbling on food-food otherwise.

But good heavens, the MESS after feeding.
How do y’all clean your babies? I’ve tried using a paper towel, and a damp paper towel, and it generally results in an argument between he and I.
Oh, dear messy cutie pie :heart:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I’ve tried using a paper towel, and a damp paper towel
I find that paper towel don´t pick up the formula off the bird quite as well as a cloth. Something like a microfibre cloth (obviously a clean one!) will work best, and always do it right after the feeding. If it starts to dry it is difficult to remove.
As Matthew said above, wet it with warm water, wring it out well and clean up the bird. To remove dried formula, press the towel against the dried formula for a half minute, then gently wipe in the same direction as the feathers. Then damp the cloth again, and repeat until it comes off. It will come off though it could take quite a few times to do it slowly. Don´t pick or pull at dried formula, you must be patient.
And, again as said above, leaving dried on formula can lead to bacteria build up which is bad for your birds health, so it must be cleaned up.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I use face tissues like Kleenex because they are small and thin and to me it makes it easier to get in all the little in and outs of a wiggling birdie rather than thicker paper towels or face cloths. I also try and get it while feeding and not wait for it to get spread all over the bird. Kind of clean as I go so it doesn't get spread around. Good luck with your cute babies.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Such a cutie best of luck with him :)

Ldjcdo

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David Johnston
In my hand feeding days (it's been nearly 3 years feeding from love birds, tiels and Amazon's), what I found that worked best was to have the hot water (the remains of what I used to prepare the formula), and gently wash the compromised feathers... Then with a towel, dry them off... At first they will argue a bit, but if you keep the water to their body temp and dry them off gently like giving them a good caress, then they ALL will give in and like it... They are super clean and like to be spotless all the time.

Ldjcdo

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David Johnston
Love your baby...