• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

how to clean my birds things?

ParakeetMa

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ash
I always heard that soap or any kind of disinfectant can harm my bird if I used it on his perches, bowls, toys, or anything. Do I just scrub off and wipe down his toys and everything? Or is there something else I can do?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Hot water and dish soap (I use the original Dawn soap). If it needs help getting the stuck on stuff off, Poop-off is great for that.

After soaking, scrubbing, and washing, I douse everything in f10. I pat the excess moisture off, and lay everything on a towel, and point a big box fan at them to dry them off.

Aviphile

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
DeeDee
This is really good for bird poop on stuff but use it with caution because it is an enzyme cleaner and will eat through some finishes if left to long.
biokleen.jpg

Jxdeeyy

Strolling the yard
I use f10 (bird safe disinfectant). I scrub the cage clean with a scrub daddy and warm water. Then spray the f10 over all perches and cage, and let it dry. (There are different instructions depending on what bottle you get but it works well!) I don’t disinfect every day, but do give it a little scrub every day :)

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I steam mine

donutweall

Walking the driveway
The dishwasher can be useful for cleaning lots of small to medium sized bird things. And the steam part of the cycle is great for sanitizing. I've put their boings, dishes, swing, etc in there for a cycle. Comes out nice and clean.

But my go to for daily cleaning is usually a spray bottle filled with water and scrubbing. Spray onto dried poop, wait a few minutes for it to soak in, and it comes off of stuff so much easier. I find I'm better able to keep on top of cleaning if the supplies are easily on hand vs if I have to special order a product or cleaner.

Also put down papers in high traffic areas (like under favorite perches). Replace when soiled. Reduces the amount of scrubbing to do!

Winn

Jogging around the block
I use Dawn dish liquid soap and apple cider vinegar.
Sometimes I soak and oven- bake the perches.

Farfah

Walking the driveway
I mix apple cider vinegar with water. Sometimes I use a very mild soap. I got a heavy duty scrubber brush for perches.