• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to clean cotton perches

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
Does anyone have some methods on cleaning cotton perches? My lovies spiral perch and other cotton perch need to be deep cleaned. Beforehand I have been just scrubbing them with mild dish soap and warm water but I feel like this isn't enough. Ideally, I would have all wood perches but I'm kinda short on money right now and I'm kinda on a budget.

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I had this same issue! Especially with the boings, because they have wire in the center. @Mizzely puts hers in the dishwasher. I don't have a dishwasher, so I use a grill brush when they're dry, then use a heavy plastic brush in the sink, I soak them with a little bleach in the water if they're really bad. I run them under very hot water to rinse, and spray them with f10 and let them dry. I have lots, so I can do a couple at a time and trade them out.

So far I haven't used enough bleach to alter the colors, so I'm not sure that step is even helpful, but I feel better about it.

I don’t soak the boings, they get the brushes, and water on the bad places, then f10. Be prepared to replace boings, because they will be prone to rust.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes dishwasher is where it is at for me :D I think some people put them in the clothes washing machine in a pillow case, too, but I have never tried that :)

Vittror

Jogging around the block
I've never washed a boing but I did wash a cotton hanging rope in the washing machine a while back.
I've read different horror stories about why you shouldn't do so - apparently the washing machine can break down??

What I did was put alot of laundry in the washing machine, put the rope/perch/boing in a pillow case, stuff it between the laundry and just normally wash.
I'm not really sure on what temperature though.
After the washing machine was done I also did a spool/rinse wash (with no laundry detergent) to remove all of the soap restants.