• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to clean cage with unhatched eggs?

Pecos2019

Moving in
So my green cheeks, Chacha and Sancho, are new parents to 4 eggs. They are adorable when caring for them and taking care of each other as well. However, I am having difficulty finding a way to clean their cage WITHOUT touching or moving the eggs from their spot. I don't want the birds to notice it, but it is getting pretty dirty inside their cage. Are there any recommendations or approaches on how you handled cleaning with eggs? LET ME KNOW and I greatly appreciate it <3.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If you are planning on hatching the chicks then the eggs should be in a nesting box. If you´re not, then I´m not sure I understand the question.

Pull out grates on cages make cleaning them much easier as you don´t need to spend a lot of time with your arm in the cage cleaning, except to pass over the inside walls.
One of my girls is on dummy eggs, and she liked the food bowl so I just let her stay in it for now, keeps her and her eggs off the floor. Makes it easier for me to pull the grate out and clean.

If you can get the parents out for a flight, it makes cleaning easier as you won´t have anyone in the way.

Pecos2019

Moving in
If you are planning on hatching the chicks then the eggs should be in a nesting box. If you´re not, then I´m not sure I understand the question.

Pull out grates on cages make cleaning them much easier as you don´t need to spend a lot of time with your arm in the cage cleaning, except to pass over the inside walls.
One of my girls is on dummy eggs, and she liked the food bowl so I just let her stay in it for now, keeps her and her eggs off the floor. Makes it easier for me to pull the grate out and clean.

If you can get the parents out for a flight, it makes cleaning easier as you won´t have anyone in the way.
I am planning on hatching the eggs, but the female doesn't want to put her eggs in the nesting box (she's thrown one out before and disowned it). So she's been on the floor ever since she's started caring for them, this happened 3 days ago though (recently). I'll try the grate and flight method!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
So she's been on the floor
You can´t allow eggs to hatch on the grate. Chicks can fall through and die underneath.
If you want to allow the clutch you need to set up a nest box and put the eggs inside.

Pecos2019

Moving in
You can´t allow eggs to hatch on the grate. Chicks can fall through and die underneath.
If you want to allow the clutch you need to set up a nest box and put the eggs inside.
There are towels on the grate. I think I should’ve specified that on why the cage was getting dirty.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It still comes down to this;
The box helps keep in heat and humidity, which are necessary for chicks survival.