• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to catch a wild bird?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Has anyone caught a flighted dove before? And how would one go about doing that? Any tips?

@Birdbabe ?

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Is the bird sick or injured?

Last edited:

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Wouldn't that stress the bird? Watching them is enough for me

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Is the bird sick or injured?
I´m not sure. There something not right. I can hear him/her flying. I know when they´re on my balcony just by the sound. Possible wing injury? Something that isn´t impeding flight 100% .
I just went out and was chatting to their partner and filling up the food bowl, and I saw this bird coming, he then got chased by adove from another pair, and I could see his flight wasn´t great, he was going down. I haven´t seen him do that long swoop that they do up and down the street, he does a lot of flapping and seems to struggle to stay up in the air. I´ve seen a couple of times he misses the silver bar of my balcony and winds up on the street below, though I couldn´t tell if this was on purpose, I´m thinking it´s because of that wing.

I´d just like to take a look, see if there´s an injury and if he´s hurt, take him to the hospital.
I can´t chase him because he does have some flight, and can get away from me. I have a bad feeling he could get hit by a car or something if he´s being chased by the other birds.

Wouldn't that stress the bird? Watching them is enough for me
:)

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
wikiHow: How-to instructions you can trust. search up how to catch a robin, there is a clever idea, could help catch a done as well. I do know though that when a bird needs help it isn't as shy of humans, I've had a lot of experiences with wild birds

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
You might be able to catch the bird with a simple box trap, if he visits your balcony regularly.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If they can fly, then you cant get them, unless you can corner them under a bush, tree, or corner, I use a huge fishing net for this. ..been in sticker bushes, under mesquite trees, ect...good luck!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:( I haven´t seen him in a few days. I´m thinking something bad might have happened to him :( He´s been hanging around here for weeks, then all of a sudden, gone.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I hope you can find him again too! One time when I caught a flighted budgie I just threw a light jacket over her when she was on the ground and gently scooped it all up and let it go in my car. I think if you're planning for catching a bird, throwing down a little seed would help, then lightly throwing a sheet or net over the bird as it's eating might work.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thought I'd update this thread.

The bird reappeared. Right after my Jacob passed away, the bird turned up again.

Recently he's been visiting here often. He isn't able to walk along the pole handrail as gracefully as the others, and his flight isn't the best, but he has a mate and is doing fine seemingly.

IMG_20210911_183616.jpg

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I decided to leave him be. He seems to be doing fine. I leave food and water out for him, he´s still living, has a mate, and has raised chicks.