• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to catch a flighted pigeon without a net?

Jogging around the block
One of my homing pigeon boys is unwell and I need to catch him to put him in a hospital cage and take him to the vet..
I don't have a net. He is tame, will come up to you about 5 cms away but will not let me touch him. I guess I could wait until night and try just grab him when he can't see me and is reluctant to fly, but if I miss he'll fly and I don't want him flying around in the dark because he'll hurt himself. He's sick enough to need to be caught, but he is still very strong, pretty much like catching a perfectly healthy bird. Any ideas?

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Would doing it at night with a towel or pillow case work?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’d personally use a larger surface material like a doona cover or light blanket to throw over him and then carefully transfer him to your pillow case or cage or whatever- you don’t want to miss on the first attempt. You’d be less likely to miss on the first go with more coverage- I found this technique much easier than trying to catch them in a towel when I had to do this with pigeons.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Doona! Most of us in the US don't know what that is but I do...:laughing7:

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A sheet.

It works better if it’s lighter in color. Toss the sheet aiming for a large area, and hopefully the weight of the sheet will gently bring him down to the ground when he tries to take flight. You can then scoop him up, sheet and all.