• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to care for a lovebird that has lost its mate?

Muna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Muna
***Apologies I even hit enter without finishing writing the issue ..

I’m so lost and confused how did my lovebird die..? What did I do wrong here? How could I have prevented kiwi's painful death?

I have two couples mango and kiwi … kiwi died so suddenly today. I saw the pool of blood and she probably bleed to death silently during their sleep. Every day I would check her crop but only today it was bright red.

In the past, I would take kiwi for her vet check-up and the vet would tell me she’s fine being lethargic.. but today was too much seeing her dead.

So my current problem how to help my lovebird mango to grieve his loss? What can I do to hell
I have another lovebird (lucky)who is very tame to humans since she was a baby and she goes ballistic kiwi and mango. So far I got a mango in my room and lucky in the living room with her gang (cockatoo& conure)

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I am sorry for your loss :sadhug2:

I can fix your title if you’d like, just tell me what you want it to say :)

Muna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Muna
Thank you very much. :sad2:

If it’s possible to change the title to this
how to care for a lovebird who has lost its mate

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Oh no, I´m truly sorry for your loss :(
If you want to try get some answers, your vet might be able to help. They could perform a necropsy if you keep Kiwi in a ziploc bag in the fridge.

As for Mango, I do not know, but this is something I will face so I will be reading this thread along with you. Sending a caring hug!

@LunaLovebird might have some tips.
(I hope this is ok to tag you on such a sensitive topic ❤ )

Muna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Muna
Thank you very much I pray that no one ever experience this loss.. :sad1: it’s painful
I hate myself thinking about Kiwi suffering at night. What could have caused it? This I will never know. It’s always been her being sick and every vet would give me vague answers.

I thought about it at first but I couldn’t do it for necropsy. I decided to bury her when I moved mango to another cage.

Right now mango and my other lovebird Lucky (solo lovebird) suddenly have changed to aggressive bitter towards me. Mango would chirp back & thankfully started to eat. I know it will be a long process ..

Lucky is so focused on mango & constant flying toward mango cage.

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I’m not really sure how much advice I can give. Ani and Luna were never really bonded, she just tolerated him. Luna seemed completely fine after he passed away. She did get a lot of one on one attention from me right after because we were also about to start moving house and we ended up moving her into his old cage and into my room. Maybe that helped, I’m not sure. I didn’t notice any behaviour changes in her but I was also right in the middle of my very own mental breakdown so I might have missed it.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry for your loss...

SeñorBirb

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ella
I'm so sorry for your loss, I wish there was something I could do :(

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

Gigibirds

I'm so sorry about Kiwi. I know how heartbreaking that is. For Mango, though, she's probably very sad. Give her some time to mourn. But also, you want to cheer her up! She's going to be lonely now, so she will need a lot of extra human time. Or, let her hang out with Lucky if they are getting along together. But try to make her happy! play her favorite music, give her extra treats, spend more time with her, etc. If she and Lucky get along, or are at least happy with their cages together, then great, Mango has bird company. Otherwise, (I know that it seems to soon to consider this, but you will need to think about it eventually) Mango will probably want another friend later on. If you get her another lovebird-buddy, you might want to adopt one that is close to the same age as she is.

I'm really sorry about Kiwi though. :sadhug: My lovebird Mango also had a mate (named Ginger) who passed away just a month or so ago, so I really understand what you are going though! Ginger also was kind of sick her whole life, and suddenly died of a seizure. However, Mango lives with her two children, so she doesn't need another mate yet. But I would really recommend that you either let Lucky be closer to Mango or get Mango a new friend. Good luck, and I hope you feel better soon! And don't feel guilty about Kiwi - you clearly loved him and tried to do the best you could for him.

Muna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Muna
Thank you all for your kind words.

@Gigibirds thank you for understanding me… the guilt what's killing me. I am so sorry for your loss as well:sadhug2:
She’s so beautiful Ginger she reminds me a lot of kiwi.

I’ve thought about introducing them both Mango & lucky the solo bird. The separate cage thing didn’t work successfully. It will take a while.
Lucky would bolt toward mango cage vice versa .. they want to bite each other.

Lucky ended up being extremely aggressive towards me as well.

Getting a mate might be my last option

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I’ve thought about introducing them both Mango & lucky the solo bird. The separate cage thing didn’t work successfully. It will take a while.
Lucky would bolt toward mango cage vice versa .. they want to bite each other.
It could be too soon.
Let their relationship develop over a good year or so and then reevaluate.
There´s no need to rush anything :)

Muna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Muna
Update
Mango is doing well and slowly accepting Lucky…
Lucky turned out to be a female & wanting to mate with Mango aggressively. I’ve never seen her like this. :shifty:
I should give up the idea of seeing them together sharing the same cage.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I should give up the idea of seeing them together sharing the same cage.
It could be too soon.
Let their relationship develop over a good year or so and then reevaluate.
There´s no need to rush anything
Don´t rush to any conclusions just yet, spend some months observing and you will learn a lot :)