• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to bring new bird to the vet?

PtsOliver

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Oliver
I got a couple cockatiels a while back, and need to bring them to the vet. However, neither of them trust me enough to go in the carrier. I have noticed some slight tail bobbing in one of them, but they still won't go in the carrier. I don't know what to do here, as I don't want it to get worse, but I also don't want them to be scared of me and break the small trust they have in me.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If you are unable to coax them in the carrier as a last resort I would just towel them and put them in. Leave some millet of other treat in there, or hand it to them once in.
You can always work at the trust again later. Just my thought.

Chomskypom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chom (pronouns they/them)
This is really blunt and I apologize if it sounds harsh, but: you can’t build trust with a dead bird. Please get them looked at by a vet.

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
This is really blunt and I apologize if it sounds harsh, but: you can’t build trust with a dead bird. Please get them looked at by a vet.
They are trying to, but are looking for the best way to do it. They did the right thing by asking for ideas.

Chomskypom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chom (pronouns they/them)
I rewrote this multiple times >.<
I should have kept in: toweling isn’t fun but in this case sounds necessary. Thank you for catching that @Ali

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
I agree towelling is the best way to go in this situation and involves the least amount of stress. Good luck!

Maggiebird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sally
Toweling is the best option. I had to towel Picasso once because one of his nails was gushing blood. Of course he’s stopped trusting me but at least he’s alive.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi Oliver, I'm sorry your birds are not feeling well and you're concerned.

I agree with what others have said. Have everything set up so you can towel and transfer quickly with as little drama as possible. This will have the least lasting effect on them. This will be the same process the vet tech and/or vet will do also in preparation of the examination. The vet will work quickly and efficiently.

I have been pleasantly surprised each and every time and I go to the vet well more than the average person with my bird, that trust was never forever broken and he does not hold a grudge in the long run.

PtsOliver

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Oliver
I'm going to probably do the toweling thing, I'll update this thread after we get them checked