• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to bond with my female sengal

Resse

Checking out the neighborhood
I'm female and we joke that she has a totem pole of love and I'm at the very bottom. I'm just her personal maid. She loves my spouse and roommate (both males) she also has a foundness for my mother in law. I'm a literally her last resort. She will not take attention, scritches or food from me unless no one else is around. I've tried doing bonding exercises, training and what not but she just isn't into me. I feel awful .I grew up with bird and I'm the one who wanted her and convinced my spouse to get her. Everyone else in the house sees her as a nuisance. She doesn't get the attention or play time she requires because the people she enjoys don't like her and the person who does she bites (aka me). Help what can I do to build a better bond with her?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Can you be the only person that give her a special treat? Birds like who they like and I know that can be frustrating. But sometimes that changes too. My cockatoo liked my fiancé best. But over time, it switched to me- I think mainly because I'm the person who plays with him, feeds him, sings to him, etc. Just keep trying....

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I hope your sennie warms up to you.
Can you be the only person that give her a special treat? Just keep trying....
It took almost 8 months of my hubby stopping by our macaw's playstand and offering special treats before Buzzard stopped hissing at him. :o: Then he began to step up, but would still fluff up first. Now he'll hold out his foot to ask hubby to take him where he wants to go. (Usually either over to the bowl of nuts in the kitchen or over to interrupt whatever I'm doing.)

It sounds like it takes a long time, but it feels like it passes much faster because you get to celebrate each baby step along the way. :)