• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to bathe the chubby flying rat?

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Things we’ve done:
Shallow bowl, deep bowl, clear bowl, opaque bowl, spray, mist, wet greens, vacuum, metal bowl, sink, bath tub, shower, dripping from hands, holding water in hands, trickle from spout (tub and sink), and… I forget what else.

Right now he’s mad at me because I trapped him in his travel cage where he can’t run away and misted him whether he liked it or not. It’s been 4 months since he last got wet. He’s not currently speaking to me.

How in the world do I get this dumb dustball to take a freaking bath willingly?!

EonWolf

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hannah
Maybe you could try to take one of his favorite (water-safe) toys and put that under a stream of water, or in a bathing dish? That way you can try to make it a fun game. Otherwise let a favorite treat float in the water, so it’s a foraging adventure (which just so happens to highly encourage getting a bath).
If you haven’t already, you could try messing with the water temperature too…:chin:

Of course, although a small detail, try exclaiming that you absolutely positively don’t want anything to get wet, and what a shame it would be if that nice clean water were to be used.:laughing6:

JulietRose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Juliet
I got my Quaker to take a bath by using a shallow bowl and floating his favorite fruit in the center so he had to go in the water to get it, now he goes in the water whenever I set the bowl out! However he will only bathe in that certain bowl. If you have another bird that will go in water you could let him see that bird go in the water, that’s how I got my budgie to take a bath! Temperature could also be a reason he won’t get in the water!

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
My Tiel rarely bathed when I first got him. After a year or so he started enjoying being misted while I had the vacuum running and later without vacuum. I taught him to walk in a shallow bowl of water. Not really sure what I accomplished with that but we both enjoyed it haha. I never really pushed it but accidentally discovered he bathed in rain. I had him and Henkie out in a travel cage to enjoy the sun when it started raining a little. I was about to bring them inside when they started bathing. Maybe you can try that if the weather is warm enough?

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Omg there are so many threads on this lol
Just keep trying different things. He will let you know what he likes.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I just don't stress about it and let them be unwashed heathens unless there's an actual reason they need to bathe :scared5:

C_Leigh

Walking the driveway
You don't need to force bathing on your bird. They groom themselves.

zERo/

Walking the driveway
Avenue Spotlight Award
SOmething else to try! Play a thunder storm video, one meant to help people sleep, I would play it for the flock, then mist them after it had been playing a few minutes, worked like a charm! LOL!

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Tteok is quite picky :roflmao:

Keep trying different methods or continue trying a specific method.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
@Xoetix try this Bebe was horrible about bath time. I bought a rabbit dish clear plastic with stand it twists into. I'll get picture tomorrow. He would not even go near it for weeks. I finally put some of his kale pieces floating in it. Guess who takes bath now. Cool water

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Have you tried letting him shower with you? I bet if you took him into the bathroom in the travel cage and opened it and ignored him while you shower that he would end up curious and wanting to get in.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Have you tried letting him shower with you? I bet if you took him into the bathroom in the travel cage and opened it and ignored him while you shower that he would end up curious and wanting to get in.
I tried that - he had an absolute freak out. I think it’s the noise?

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
My fingers have to have a bath in bowl for mine to bath flicking water at them then the jump in

maybe in time he will like it maybe not the thunder a good idea as I’ve seen plenty of wild birds bathing in thunder rain

maybe he likes likes being a dirty dust bunny :rofl:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Here's Bebe's bath bowl and attachment to his cage. IMG_20230201_094038_250~2.jpg IMG_20230201_094113_483.jpg IMG_20230201_094102_436.jpg IMG_20230201_094049_511.jpg IMG_20230201_094038_250.jpg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I never force a bath. I always try to make it fun. If a bird doesn't want it, I stop and try again later or the next day. I mist with warm water. I spray my hand first so they can see. I sing a silly song etc.

lioen

Sitting on the front steps
As far as ive figured out, my 2 monsters like bathing in their water bowl, as long as i keep it lukewarm.

You just have to replace it often, it gets pretty dirty :loltears: