• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to bathe scared cockatiel

Poochibird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily
Hello! I have a very stinky cockatiel, I assume it’s him as I clean the cage everyday. He’s only been here 3 days so he isn’t hand tamed yet, he only started letting me hold my hand next to him inside the cage.
how would I bath him? If he’s outside the cage he flies all over and crashes into the walls. I’ve tried putting a bath in the cage but he doesn’t go to it

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
how would I bath him?
It's best to offer various opportunities and let them decide when/how they want to partake.

Since they're in a new environment, I suspect there's no desire to bath since it puts them in a vulnerable state (and your new guy is already on high alert).

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Your bird should not really be stinky, maybe just a mild scent, but not unpleasant. If he is rather smelly he might have an infection.
I would wait until he is more settled in to try and give him a bath. When he is ready you can try gently misting him by spraying the water well above him and letting it gently fall down to him. Cockatiels don’t necessarily need to bathe that much, and it is mostly beneficial to their sinuses, so don’t worry if your bird isn’t comfortable with bathing for a long time.

Poochibird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily
Stinky? Can you describe the scent?
Has he been vet checked yet?
Vet check is tomorrow! Kinda a smell of poo and… hard to explain. I don’t think he has an infection, I’ll find out tomorrow if he’s all well. He does have a bit of poop on him lol, maybe that’s it.

he’s becomin more hand friendly, hoping on my hand during food time.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
I would use a mister and spray him daily or every other day. Lots of times if the place they came from was not very clean usually with lots of other birds they do stink. Hopefully he is well and a bath will help.