• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to bake sweet potato?

bird_mama

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Shay
How do you all bake sweet potato for your birds? Do I have to use oil? Can I put them in the fridge to save them and use as needed?

(bonus question lol)

what veggies are best for birds? What fruits? Thank you!!!!

Circling

Walking the driveway
Real Name
John
Poke holes in 2-3 places with a fork, and microwave until softish- do not overcook. Slice open when done, and cool until closer to room temperature. Scoop out with a spoon. Leftovers should keep 2-3 days refrigerated. Warm to room temperature.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I put them on a baking tray as they are and bake them in their skin at 180 Celsius till they’re done.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How do you all bake sweet potato for your birds? Do I have to use oil? Can I put them in the fridge to save them and use as needed?

(bonus question lol)

what veggies are best for birds? What fruits? Thank you!!!!
I do them 2 ways.....wash potato & dry with paper towel. Poke a few holes with a fork or knife. Lay it on a plate & microwave 2 minutes. Turn it over & do the another side 1-2 minutes. It should feel soft when done. Cooking time depends on the size, but they bake fast compared to white potatoes. Slice it open & let it cool. Scoop it out & mash it up with a fork. If you want to make some ahead you can freeze mashed in a ice cube tray. The silicone type trays make them easy to pop out.

I also roast them in the oven for us to eat. Peel potato, cut in chunks. Foil line a baking tray. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. I use a little olive oil. Bake about 10 minutes, flip them over & bake another 10 minutes. I take some off for the birds. Those I place on a paper towel to remove the oil. You can refrigerate for up to 3 days.

Parrots can pretty much eat any veggies except onions. Best veggies & fruits are the ones they will eat. Corn, peas, carrots, mixed veggies, peppers, squash, sweet potato, any greens, cantaloupe, watermelon, pomegranate, apples (no seeds or skin), bananas, any berries except avocado. Most like to hold food in their feet, so cut pieces in chunks. I leave the skin on bananas (wash & dry first) & cut a piece about 1-1.5 inches thick. They eat it out of the skin & drop the skin. Basically they peel the skin off veggies & fruits & don't usually eat the skin.

Winn

Jogging around the block
I peel and cube sweet potatoes then cook them in the microwave until soft.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
When it's just for my parrot I boil them. If it is for me I bake them. You can cut them up and make them into fries if you like with a bit of oil and parsley flakes. I wouldn't offer them with oil to the birds however.

The best vegetables you could feed your parrot is kale ( Kale is a nutrition superstar due to the amounts of vitamins A, K, B6 and C, calcium, potassium, copper and manganese it contains. ) , dandelion, dark leafy greens (with the exception of spinach), carrots or sweet potato, green beans, brocolli ( Broccoli is high in many nutrients, including fiber, vitamin C, vitamin K, iron, and potassium. It also boasts more protein ). Sprouting can also be very nutritious, and helpful for the more picky parrot. Sweet Peppers are a fun addition. They can even tolerate the spicy peppers because they don't taste the spice somehow.

Last edited:

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Sunflower sprouts:
Sunflower sprouts contain a higher amount of protein. They are also rich in Vitamin B, which can reduce stress levels, and zinc, which helps balance the body's hormones. These sprouts are also a rich source of essential amino acids, vitamin A, D, E, and B complex.
Wheat Sprouts:
Vitamins B, C and E ,Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus,Amino Acids
Millet Sprouts:
Vitamins B, C and E,Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus Amino Acids Protein: 15%
Radish Sprouts: Vitamins A, B, C, E and K Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Zinc
Amino Acids, Trace Elements, Carotene, Chlorophyll

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
If i'm in a hurry, I find just slicing it up, putting it in a bowl with a bit of water, and microwaving it works fine. Microwave in 1 min intervals until its soft and almost mushy.

AniemDarie

Hit the Road
Real Name
Aniem Darie
Baking sweet potatoes for birds is a great idea. You ain't necessarily have to use all, but it can help to enhance the flavor and texture.

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
If you have a pressure cooker, sweet potatoes are quick and easy!! You can also microwave. When I microwave, I usual slice in half lengthwise and wrap in saran wrap, helps them cook evenly quickly!

BorisVance

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
BorisVance
Baking sweet potatoes for birds is a great idea. You don't necessarily have to use oil, but it can help to enhance the flavor and texture.