• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to accommodate for a messed-up beak

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I believe I got my Super Clot @ walmart.com. I believe Amazon has it also & so much faster if you already have Prime. I know you mentioned getting something else from there recently. (Memory works every now & again! :smuggrin::lol:)

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I just bought a tube off of Chewy. 1-2 day shipping, so it'll be here soon.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Today felt kinda rough. I've just been kinda marinating in my feelings, trying to unpack my emotions from the ER visit on the 21st.

Right now I just feel woefully inadequate. Like nothing I do is good enough. Everyone keeps telling me I'm doing so well but I just don't feel like I am. Even my vet, she told me that I'm doing everything I can for him, that if anyone would be able to handle his special needs it would be me. But I just don't know.

I don't know, maybe my brain is trying to mess with me. Is it? Am I not as awful as I think I am?

I feel bad for feeling bad.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's how anxiety and grief work, Bee. I'm a whole entire psychologist and I still beat myself up for not being able to prevent Kev from hurting herself sometimes. It's hard to see someone we love hurting and sometimes it's easier to beat ourselves up for not being able to control it than to face the fact that it's entirely out of our control. Try to name those feelings for what they are -- the fact that you feel sad and anxious about what is happening to Chirp. That's hard enough without letting the brain weasels bully you too.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's your anxiety, I think. I mentioned I've been fighting the same thing for a zillion years. You ARE doing great!!!

:DancingChilli:FAN-FRICKEN-TASTIC!!!!:dance5:

As a matter of fact.

It's my opinion that "You" are confusing the fear of what is going on w/ Chirp w/ the anxiety of "feeling" like you are not doing good enough! I had that problem my entire life, mine was from parental abuse, mental & physical... No matter how hard I tried, it was NEVER, EVER good enough! Even 20 years after that person was irradicated from my life! After they died, I finally got a good psychologist (even tho I didn't like him) I stuck it out as I had to fight the inner demon. W/ Buddy's strength to be a parront & his humor. I finally feel free of that demon!!! Almost 30 years later...

Let yourself be free of whatever... demon is chasing you. You ARE doing a beautiful job!!!! Chirp has wanted for none & has been given the very best life & then a whole hell of a lot more.

Taxi, there will be a special place for you in Chirp's heart forever & ever! You made him a wonderful home & been a loving companion, what more can a fid ask for, extra treats??? Well, yea maybe just that... Find peace in the fact that now, all you have to do is grab the cage & zooom off to the vets. Everything you've done to the emergency part of this is simple semantics. Those semantics, he knows you did for just for him, your loving & trusting guidance has proven that. One thing that little one, will NEVER... EVER question is your love. I don't & because I don't drive but ride, you may as well live where Danita & John are (in another country) & even I know the love you feel for that little Dude! HE KNOWS!!!! I promise & I betcha others like @finchly & @JoJo&Loki & @EkkieLu. & @Love My Zons know because we know, just from our endless talks here on AA. :bluhug:

Chirp knows!!! You WILL get thru this & we'll always be here for you! All of us :D , Your AA thru & thru!
:heart: from a zillion miles away! ;)

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's how anxiety and grief work, Bee. I'm a whole entire psychologist and I still beat myself up for not being able to prevent Kev from hurting herself sometimes. It's hard to see someone we love hurting and sometimes it's easier to beat ourselves up for not being able to control it than to face the fact that it's entirely out of our control. Try to name those feelings for what they are -- the fact that you feel sad and anxious about what is happening to Chirp. That's hard enough without letting the brain weasels bully you too.
Hey you looked on my paper didn't you? :laugh:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Man, that's what I did wrong, couldve been a billionaire! Hahaha!

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
Grief and anxiety are insidious, poking away at our hearts and minds. Creating guilt where there should be none, making us 2nd guess correct well-thought decisions or ones we only could have avoided with hindsight.

That's why I say do your best. When that nasty little voice in your mind starts to what if? What if you had done this, you could have done better... No, you tell that obnoxious little anxiety goblin to shut up because you already know you are doing your best at any given time with the knowledge you have. You provide a level of care and love to Chirp that is so beautiful! You are a good caregiver doing the best you can in a very hard situation and it really does show.

It hurts because you care, I'm so sorry. I hope and pray he will be okay.
:sadhug2:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Considering how many people I know who would have never done even *HALF* as much as you have done and would just as easily replace that animal than fight for the animal's life.... trust me, you are doing a wonderful job! And the best that you can!

Heck, I wish I *COULD* have done all that at the age you are at! I never had that kind of support from my family! I still tried doing the best I could, given my circumstances. I honestly can't think of anything you could do differently because you are already doing it!

Hang in there! :hug8:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I’ve been fuming for 2 days over a person who won’t take her Finch to the vet... they quoted her $65. Then there’s people like you, Taxi.

:sadhug2:

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Bee, when sad things happen to me and my birds, I also like to think about how much I'm learning that will help me help future birds. Even if you decide that's not for you, your openness with posting on your threads will be so valuable to other birds in similar situations.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I've been struggling with my thoughts since the vet visit the other day.

I mentioned to the vet that I've been haunted by the thought that, if I had never fed Chirp WD, then this would have never happened and it's my fault.

My vet told me, she suspects that even if I hadn't fed him that stuff, this very well may have happened anyway.

I don't really know why I'm sharing this but I just need to get it off my chest. I've been on the verge of tears since the vet visit.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
:bighug: There is no way to know for sure either way and the chances are pretty much 50-50.
It’s there now and part of your life journey with Chirp regardless of how when where and why so beating yourself up about it will only take away from the positive energy you can give yourself and Chirp.
Try not to let thoughts that are damaging and guilt tripping enter your head- they’re not productive or helpful to you and there’s enough ugly in the world for you to filter through already. You have only ever been known to be that special kind of person who goes above and beyond in the care they believe their animals should have so you need to keep reminding yourself of that.
Anything you have ever done for Chirp has been done out of love and with best intentions.
YOU HAVE DONE NOTHING WRONG!!!
But..... you have done everything right!!
:hug8::heart::hug8::hug8::heart::hug8:

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I've been struggling with my thoughts since the vet visit the other day.

I mentioned to the vet that I've been haunted by the thought that, if I had never fed Chirp WD, then this would have never happened and it's my fault.

My vet told me, she suspects that even if I hadn't fed him that stuff, this very well may have happened anyway.

I don't really know why I'm sharing this but I just need to get it off my chest. I've been on the verge of tears since the vet visit.
Unfortunately Bee , Chirp is genetically predisposed to this, your doing the best you can to slow the inherent predisposition of his genetic makeup.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Many hugs...you just have to tell yourself you are doing the best you can and love him. That's what I do for mine. I admit that when they tank or things drop, I have a hard time. And many people wouldn't be able to continue knowing it isn't something fixable. You are doing a lot for such a tiny little heart. :sadhug:

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
No matter how it happened, it is absolutely not your fault! You love Chirp and have done all that is in your power to give him a long and wonderful life, and absolutely everything you've done has been with his health and happiness at heart. I know it's easier to say "don't feel guilty" than it is to wipe out those feelings, but you have nothing to blame yourself for. You're an incredible, doting parront, and Chirp could not possibly have a more wonderful home than he does with you.