• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How should I try to catch this rabbit?

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
This bun is such a good boy. He has zero fear of being in a new, strange house with a new, strange human. He even did the bunny flop, which is a super content action that means he trusts me not to hurt him. I didn't expect that so soon! He binkied too!

I know Jackson will LOVE to meet him, because he's a major love bug and adores rabbits, but I'm going to wait until bun has established himself more.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
This is incredibly heart warming! I'm so happy he's safe now! Many congrats on a job well done!

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
Aww, that's amazing! I love the bunny binkies. They're always cute, but they get even cuter when they do that. :xflove:

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hooray! Glad you got him! He sounds like a sweetie.

My bet is that he was dumped. I don't think he has a loving family waiting to be reunited with him... On the other hand, I hope there's someone (*coughhrafncough*) who can't wait to welcome him into their family.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hooray! Glad you got him! He sounds like a sweetie.

My bet is that he was dumped. I don't think he has a loving family waiting to be reunited with him... On the other hand, I hope there's someone (*coughhrafncough*) who can't wait to welcome him into their family.
That's my thinking as well, but it's just so miserable to imagine that someone could abandon such a sweet bun for no reason.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's my thinking as well, but it's just so miserable to imagine that someone could abandon such a sweet bun for no reason.
There probably was a reason for them not being able to care for him anymore - my bet is that a kid lost interest or they were moving house. But abandoning a pet who has never had to fend for itself in a place with predators is just unforgivable. Even dumping him at a vet surgery's door would have been safer for him.

I loved the Redwall books! The hares were such characters :)

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
At some point he may have been neutered by and adopted from a rescue. It’s hard to imagine whoever dumped him bought him from a breeder, paid for neuter out of pocket, and then abandoned him. My Lorenzo came from a rabbit rescue neutered.

Driving your pets into the desert and releasing them is fairly common here. Many feel they’re being “released into the wild”...with coyotes, bobcats, mountain lions, hawks and many more predators, you’re feeding your pets to the desert while ensuring their last days are full of terror and bewilderment. That park looks like somewhere a similarly minded human would consider “a great place for a rabbit”.

I’m so glad that you found this sweet bun and that he chose you to save him ;):hug8::heart:

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wanted Ballaw to have a tunnel since all my past buns have loved them, but he's way too big for a cat tunnel so I got him a tunnel made for kids.
:lol:

20190519_164704.jpg 20190519_164304.jpg

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
At some point he may have been neutered by and adopted from a rescue. It’s hard to imagine whoever dumped him bought him from a breeder, paid for neuter out of pocket, and then abandoned him. My Lorenzo came from a rabbit rescue neutered.

Driving your pets into the desert and releasing them is fairly common here. Many feel they’re being “released into the wild”...with coyotes, bobcats, mountain lions, hawks and many more predators, you’re feeding your pets to the desert while ensuring their last days are full of terror and bewilderment. That park looks like somewhere a similarly minded human would consider “a great place for a rabbit”.

I’m so glad that you found this sweet bun and that he chose you to save him ;):hug8::heart:
That's so sad. :( I can't even conceive of just ditching one of my babies in the wilderness. Poor Ballaw was SO close to being coyote chow.

A couple people have messaged me on sites where I posted him as found, but none have been able to give me a good description of him or tell me what his tattoo says, so I'm pretty positive that they're just chumps trying to sneak a free rabbit out of me. So gross.

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
That's so sad. :( I can't even conceive of just ditching one of my babies in the wilderness. Poor Ballaw was SO close to being coyote chow.

A couple people have messaged me on sites where I posted him as found, but none have been able to give me a good description of him or tell me what his tattoo says, so I'm pretty positive that they're just chumps trying to sneak a free rabbit out of me. So gross.
Good for you making them prove ownership and super smart call on using the tattoo! If he was my bun, I’d at least have a picture showing it, even if I hadn’t memorized what it says. So many terrible things “free bunnies” are used for too :(

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good for you making them prove ownership and super smart call on using the tattoo! If he was my bun, I’d at least have a picture showing it, even if I hadn’t memorized what it says. So many terrible things “free bunnies” are used for too :(
My friend once had to rehome a bunny and had SO many people asking if they could have him for snake food. I dare anyone to ask to feed Ballaw to a snake. :kickout:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Last edited: