• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How should I try to catch this rabbit?

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Did you get any pics of him?
Not yet, unfortunately. The times when I had Morgan I didn't think to take out my phone because I had a flouncing amstaff to calm down :lol:, and when I just went to the park without her I left it at home to charge. :facepalm: D'oh.

I'll try tomorrow! It's getting dark out now.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I hope you can catch him! Good luck!!!

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
That's so cool, I didn't know that! Cats do the slow blink of trust too, I'll definitely try it on the bunbun!
Aaw how cool! I have also used it with success with skittish birds too - little birds though, idk if I would be doing that with a frightened Mac ;)

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh my gosh, I'm so annoyed.

The postman just came with my trap, and I was super pleased because it's so early, but then I realised how small the box was and when I checked they sent me the wrong size! This is a trap for rats and squirrels, but the one I bought was supposed to be 30" long. Oy vey.

Guess I'll try the carrier method and, if that fails, the grab method.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Be careful sweetie! Hopefully soon you can post a pic of your newest addition to the family!!!
He's a super sweet bun, but I don't know how he'll repond to being grabbed. He's also definitely big enough to do me some intense damage if he wants to.

On the upside, he's white so he's easy to find lol

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
One thing that really helped me bond with my boy was slow blinking, which is essentially a bun smile. Bunnies use this to communicate contentment and trust, but you can use it to tell him that you are not a threat.if he looks you in the eye and you close your eyes slowly, gently hold them closed and slowly open them he will probably stare at you maybe you’ll get wth ears, one forward one back. Repeat and most of the time you will get a slow blink back! He may ditch you while your eyes are closed, but you’ll have certainly perked his curiosity and he’ll be back to investigate this strange gentle person who’s smiling at him. There’s a ton of information on bunny body language online, but the slow blink has been the one that’s served me best!
I can't wait to try this on my granddaughter's bunny. He's a sweetie but how cool would it be if we could all communicate a smile to him.

Good luck @hrafn !

EnglishBudgMom

Walking the driveway
A long time ago a domesticated rabbit showed up at my parents house (they have acreage). I just let it get used to me, and kept a blanket/towel on hand. When it got close enough one day, I just tossed towel on it and scooped quickly. I completely covered it with towel. Turned out it belonged to a neighbor a few houses away.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Best of luck!!

You might already know this but just incase I wanted to say be super careful if you pick him/her up because it's really easy for a bun to break their back if they twist around while being picked up. They need their back legs supported.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Best of luck!!

You might already know this but just incase I wanted to say be super careful if you pick him/her up because it's really easy for a bun to break their back if they twist around while being picked up. They need their back legs supported.
I'll be sure to! I grew up with bunnies and only lost my lionhead last year, so thankfully I know enough to keep him safe during the catch. :) I don't know about keeping me safe from those claws and back legs, though. I got kicked by a new zealand rabbit once and it felt like my ribs were bruised. :lol:

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good luck!!

My Valkyrie is massive, not even gone a year and she's about 5kgs, bigger than a long legged Jack Russell! Might have yourself a Flemish Giant there
Oh man, I wonder!! I love Flemish Giants, my neighbour had a silver doe growing up who was bigger than me at four years old. :D
This boy definitely has the ears!

Last edited:

CallieCadmoor

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Georgia
Oh man, I wonder!! I love Flemish Giants, my friend had a silver doe growing up who was bigger than me at four years old. :D
This boy definitely has the ears!

Val is still a baby and probably not pure but agh is she a sweetie! Hope you catch the precious one

Supporting hops from Valkyrie Bun
IMG_20190428_141119.jpg

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Val is still a baby and probably not pure but agh is she a sweetie! Hope you catch the precious one

Supporting hops from Valkyrie Bun
View attachment 304540
Wow, what a gorgeous doe!! Those colours are amazing. So pretty, Miss Valkyrie!

She definitely has the dewlap and the big fluffy Flemish ears!

CallieCadmoor

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Georgia
Wow, what a gorgeous doe!! Those colours are amazing. So pretty, Miss Valkyrie!

She definitely has the dewlap and the big fluffy Flemish ears!

Oh she knows it! Haha. It was a mission finding a harness that would accommodate the dewlap but we finally got one. My brother wants an army of Flemish Giants now.

Hope to see pics of your park friend!

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mr. Rabbit let me pet him today! He came all the way right up to me and was sniffing at my leg, and when I pet him he put his feet right up on my lap and leaned up toward me. I didn't make for the grab because I figured I could lure him into the carrier beside me with his AA-suggested treats, but then something in the grass next to us spooked him and he ran. DANG IT. :shifty:

I really hate that he's in this particular park because it's coyote country. There's actually a resident pack of at least six here who own this territory, and I'm astounded that he's evaded them for this long. He's dirty, but he's still bright white in a sea of green and brown.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
At least he's still tame enough to be okay around humans. Fingers crossed that you get him before the coyotes do.

Valkyrie is STUNNING. What a magnificent bun!

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Man, Zelda's old stuff is waaaay too small for this dude. Guess I'll just have to buy a bunch of new things for him. Y'know, until I bring him to the Humane society. :angel2: