• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How should I try to catch this rabbit?

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
There's a domesticated rabbit that I've spotted several times in the park since yesterday, and I'm wondering how I should try to catch him. He's very friendly with people, so I'm thinking he was abandoned out there by some schmuck who thought they were "setting him free", but he hasn't been willing to come right to my hands yet...probably because of Morgan dancing beside me. He's no jackrabbit by any means and will be easy prey to the innumerable predators around here, so I want to at least try to catch him and bring him to the humane society or something.

Do you think a carrier with some high-value bunny treats like leafy greens and carrots would be enough? Should I try to just grab him when he hops over to me?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh, I totally forgot about live traps! I just checked and I can get a nice rabbit-sized one off Amazon Prime for like $35 and it'll be here by tomorrow. Thanks Shawna!!
Hopefully he's okay until the morning.

Yay!! Good luck!! :)

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
All the rabbits I've owned could not resist banana. I hope you can catch him or her!
My bunnies always loved apples too, so maybe that along with the banana would get it in there. It will be two extra tempting treats that it hopefully won't be able to refuse. :)

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
My bunny loves basil, it’s his favorite!

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Maybe dress up like the pied piper and play the carrot song on the flute!?!? Could try some cadaberry egg treats left over from easter. Lol....
Havahart traps work best!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Why don't you just borrow a live trap from the human society? I'm sure they have them. Would love to see a photo! Until then I'd go to the park without your dog and sit down when you see the rabbit and have your treats in hand... try to get it on your lap. Have a box prepared in the car to put it in. Good luck!

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
There's a domesticated rabbit that I've spotted several times in the park since yesterday, and I'm wondering how I should try to catch him. He's very friendly with people, so I'm thinking he was abandoned out there by some schmuck who thought they were "setting him free", but he hasn't been willing to come right to my hands yet...probably because of Morgan dancing beside me. He's no jackrabbit by any means and will be easy prey to the innumerable predators around here, so I want to at least try to catch him and bring him to the humane society or something.

Do you think a carrier with some high-value bunny treats like leafy greens and carrots would be enough? Should I try to just grab him when he hops over to me?

Remember, a rabbit "always" circles around to point of last seen.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Why don't you just borrow a live trap from the human society? I'm sure they have them. Would love to see a photo! Until then I'd go to the park without your dog and sit down when you see the rabbit and have your treats in hand... try to get it on your lap. Have a box prepared in the car to put it in. Good luck!
I thought of that, but it would've had taken just as long to wait to borrow one as to wait for one to come tomorrow off Amazon (if not longer), and this way I'll have it available in case I ever have to catch any medium-sized critter again. ;)

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I thought of that, but it would've had taken just as long to wait to borrow one as to wait for one to come tomorrow off Amazon (if not longer), and this way I'll have it available in case I ever have to catch any medium-sized critter again. ;)
Hrafn's Critter Gitter at your service!!!! :walkdog1:

Sparky04

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kiersten
How to Rescue a Rabbit Running Loose | House Rabbit Society
Tips For Catching A Stray Rabbit | Columbus House Rabbit Society
Rabbit Rescue & Rehab — Articles

I would definitely try without the dog, both my bunnies are scared of dogs. I actually have experience with this in two separate occasions. Mordecai was super easy. I think he wanted someone to rescue him to be honest, he came up and let us just pick him up. Then there was two semi-feral rabbits who were a lot more difficult, they didn't fall for the humane trap at all. If you can, I'd get a two sided trap since it looks a lot less trap like. Once you try to grab the rabbit, if you fail, its gonna know your intentions and it'll be a lot harder. An open park is more difficult and it'll probably be difficult to corner it. I'd suggest bringing help and a towel if you don't think it'll come easily. I can answer more questions if you need!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
My grandma would just grab a pregnant wild doe (bunny) and keep it so we could have the babies.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I got bunny to come closer to me! He didn't come all the way to my hand but pretty close.

You guys.

This bunny is HUGE.

If I didn't know jackrabbits I'd think he was one, but he's definitely got that Easter Bunny-esque domesticated look to him.

Oh no, I hope the trap is big enough LOL

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Some are absolutely massive. I have a mini rex who is (not exactly a big feat) larger than my chihuahua. I actually had to completely change furniture because the two of them are best buds and spent 100% of their time denning under my couch. No prey animal likes being hunted down and caught so how you present yourself can make a huge difference in earning his trust.

One thing that really helped me bond with my boy was slow blinking, which is essentially a bun smile. Bunnies use this to communicate contentment and trust, but you can use it to tell him that you are not a threat.

if he looks you in the eye and you close your eyes slowly, gently hold them closed and slowly open them he will probably stare at you maybe you’ll get wth ears, one forward one back. Repeat and most of the time you will get a slow blink back! He may ditch you while your eyes are closed, but you’ll have certainly perked his curiosity and he’ll be back to investigate this strange gentle person who’s smiling at him. There’s a ton of information on bunny body language online, but the slow blink has been the one that’s served me best!

Last edited:

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Did you get any pics of him?

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Some are absolutely massive. I have a mini rex who is (not exactly a big feat) larger than my chihuahua. I actually had to completely change furniture because the two of them are best buds and spent 100% of their time denning under my couch. No prey animal likes being hunted down and caught so how you present yourself can make a huge difference in earning his trust.

One thing that really helped me bond with my boy was slow blinking, which is essentially a bun smile. Bunnies use this to communicate contentment and trust, but you can use it to tell him that you are not a threat.

if he looks you in the eye and you close your eyes slowly, gently hold them closed and slowly open them he will probably stare at you maybe you’ll get wth ears, one forward one back. Repeat and most of the time you will get a slow blink back! He may ditch you while your eyes are closed, but you all have certainly perked his curiosity and he’ll be back to investigate this strange gentle person who’s smiling at him. There’s a ton of information on bunny body language online, but the slow blink has been the one that’s served me best!
That's so cool, I didn't know that! Cats do the slow blink of trust too, I'll definitely try it on the bunbun!