• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How should I set up my (4-5 weeks old) cockatiels enclosure?

MaggieBee

Meeting neighbors
Hi there!

I'm in talks with a breeder to take home a 4 or 5 weeks old cockatiel (depends on the choice of bird when I visit come Wednesday) and while I've had a cage set up for a while, I've been planning for an adult bird.

My pickiness with breeders and preference for a specific colour mutation narrowed down my choices considerably, and I ended up considering a younger bird instead. I do have the schedule for it, and I've read all I came across on hand-feeding and weaning (plus my best friend is an avian vet, so I should be well supplied with advice) but I can't for the life of me find any information on enclosures. I don't imagine a bird that young would be comfortable in the big cage have I set up. Do they need a nesting box? A heating lamp? Subtract? I already have a small traveling cage that I imagine would serve me well, but as for the trimmings I'm a bit lost!

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
:bump4: You will need a brooder instead of a regular cage.....I think that @Zara had a good thread or something about setting up brooders, but I'm not sure. (I know how to set up a brooder for tiny parrots like lovebirds, but it could be different for cockatiels) Usually brooders are plastic bins/boxes with a heating pad underneath, lots of soft squishy stuff, a stuffed animal for warmth, etc. You will also need baby-bird formula, a syringe or something to squirt it in its mouth, a scale and more! Baby birds are a TON of work (I've raised a bunch of lovebirds), but it is SO worth it! They pretty much automatically love you, they're super tame, and you get them for their whole lifetime! But I would get a 4 week old one, as 5 week old birds can already by harder to tame! Good luck with your new birdy!! (and please post pics!)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Link for DIY brooders;

You can use a large critter carrier to bring the bird home and to house him as a brooder until he is fully feathered. Be sure it´s lined with a few inches of aspen shavings.
You will need a hygrometer and thermometer to control environment inside. And a heating pad to slide underneath under half of the box.

As for handfeeding, if you have never done it before, use a spoon. It´s is too easy for a novice to aspirate a chick with a syringe. A spoon is a lot safer. You need a candy thermometer to check the formula temp is 105F before feeding.

Have a read of this thread, tonnes of helpful posts, crop checking, signs of slowcrop and remedies, how to make your own feeder spoons, how to mix formula etc.

Please ask if there´s anything you´re unsure about :)

MaggieBee

Meeting neighbors
:bump4: You will need a brooder instead of a regular cage.....I think that @Zara had a good thread or something about setting up brooders, but I'm not sure. (I know how to set up a brooder for tiny parrots like lovebirds, but it could be different for cockatiels) Usually brooders are plastic bins/boxes with a heating pad underneath, lots of soft squishy stuff, a stuffed animal for warmth, etc. You will also need baby-bird formula, a syringe or something to squirt it in its mouth, a scale and more! Baby birds are a TON of work (I've raised a bunch of lovebirds), but it is SO worth it! They pretty much automatically love you, they're super tame, and you get them for their whole lifetime! But I would get a 4 week old one, as 5 week old birds can already by harder to tame! Good luck with your new birdy!! (and please post pics!)
Thank you! That was very useful.

Do you think it could work with a heat lamp instead of a pad? I have a ceramic bulb left over from setting up my niece's turtle tank, but where I live I might have trouble getting my hands on a heating pad :( I'll search my local pet stores for one, but in case I need to order online, could I make do with a lamp in the meantime?