• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How should i interact with my cage aggressive budgie?

Saya

Meeting neighbors
When he is in or on his cage he won't let me touch him.But when he flies off he'll willing climb onto my hand and stay there so i know hes tame. One article i read said i should towel him and take him out of the cage but that doesn't sound right. How should i bond with my budgie if he never gets off his cage? His wings are clipped. He isn't a good flier

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Since his wings are clipped he may not leave the cage. Please explain more about him "not a good flier". Have you trained him to step up on a perch? No touching involved in that. Hold some millet in your hand and at the same time hold a perch. How long have you had him? Was he from a pet store?

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
You are right; toweling a budgie is not a good way to gain their trust. It really isn't good for any bird but especially for budgies since they are, in my experience, more sensitive and flighty than most other common pet parrots. You really have to earn their trust. It is well worth it; once you do gain their trust, they are very sweet and friendly little guys. But they do take more patience at first.

One thing they usually love is to be talked to. They often also like toys with small parts they can move around, like bells, toys with sliding beads, or those small whiffle balls with bells inside to roll around. I would try to spend some time every day just talking to him. Say his name, tell him he's a pretty bird (there's a reason budgies are often taught to say pretty bird first; it's actually a bit like some of their natural vocalizations and one of the easiest things for them to learn to say), read a book out loud to him or tell him what you are doing. Try to spend time near him doing some sort of calm activity that he doesn't find threatening - even just watching TV, if it's not super loud.
Try reaching in and playing with his toys a little. Ring a bell on a toy, or slide a few beads around. Then back off and see if he'd interested in the toy. If he doesn't seem scared, stick your face near him when you talk to him sometimes - they seem to really enjoy being near your face when you talk.
Try offering your finger to step up - you can try bribing him with a treat, but don't resort to grabbing him. If he flutters out of his cage and needs you to pick him up, I would try just picking him up and talking to him a little like you would if he was in his cage, and see how he reacts. If he looks really scared and just wants to get back to his cage, then take him back. But after awhile, you will probably see that he looks less scared and starts to show signs of relaxing, like preening and shaking his feathers into place, ect. Once he's looking a little more relaxed, I would hold him for a little bit, away from his cage, and use the time to just sit quietly with him and talk to him for a few minutes before you take him back to his cage.
Mostly you just want to appear as non threatening as you can while spending time with him. It sounds like you have a good start in that he will step up to let you return him to his cage. Grabbing him will only harm trust. With budgies, it really is all about trust.
It can take a month or two, or even more to get a strong bond. Once you have that bond, then they do become very affectionate and trusting. I remember when I got my first budgie, I was used to my conure and was not expecting it to take a long to bond to my budgie as it did. I was rather discouraged a few times since he was tame but didn't seem to want to interact. But I've learned since then that they just take a little more patience and work at first, and there's something really special about a bond with a budgie, I can't describe it, but it's well worth the time it takes to bond.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Since he is tame off the cage, you need to lure him off the cage rather than grab him off the cage. Best way to do this is with teaching him to step up on a hand held perch by offering him a treat. Have the perch in your non-dominant hand and the treat in the dominant hand. Approach the cage and show him the treat. When he comes forward to get the treat, put the perch in front of him and require him to step onto the perch to get the treat. It may take several times to get his trust to step up on and stay on the perch. Once you do, walk away from the cage, turn him so he cannot see his cage and interact with him as you will. When he decides he wants to go back to his cage by trying to fly their, or looking longingly at it, take him back, he has had enough.

Reggie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
I had a cage aggressive budgie (Jersey) and I taught her that coming out onto my hand was a good thing by working with millet and clicker training. I recommend that! Do not towel your budgie unless it is an emergency! Budgies operate on trust!

Saya

Meeting neighbors
Since his wings are clipped he may not leave the cage. Please explain more about him "not a good flier". Have you trained him to step up on a perch? No touching involved in that. Hold some millet in your hand and at the same time hold a perch. How long have you had him? Was he from a pet store?
He doesn't have strong wing muscles at all, he was hand raised so he knows how to step up but he runs away. I'm not entirely sure how to train him to step up on a perch. And no he was from a breeder but he was returned twice before he was 6 weeks old

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
He doesn't have strong wing muscles at all, he was hand raised so he knows how to step up but he runs away. I'm not entirely sure how to train him to step up on a perch. And no he was from a breeder but he was returned twice before he was 6 weeks old
Millet or other treats! :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Millet is your go to for training budgies. You can hold a perch and millet in either one or two hands. Hold the perch as you would your finger. The more he flies the stronger his wings will be. Just make sure he has a safe room in which to fly.