• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How old would my Ringneck be? And male?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
What a pretty baby.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
It is difficult to know the sex of the bird without the age. IRN take around 3 years to fully mature. If the bird is older than 3 I would say female. You can confirm the sex with a DNA test.

Males over 3 years have the black ring around their heads.

You bird is gorgeous! :xflove:

Mantis64

Rollerblading along the road
Also is it male or female?
From the research I have gathered I believe your bird may be a make as one of the signs is that males have a rectangular shaped head and from the photos this seems to be the case. However this Is not 100% do if you want to know the gender of you Indian ringneck the best way is to get a DNA test as only this is accurate.

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Without knowing the age of this bird we are not going to be able to tell gender. If the bird is at least 3 years old then you more than likely have a female as males develop a big black ring around their necks around that time. I have never found the shape head/pelvis or any other visible factors to be accurate in IRN aside from the ring on the neck.

I'd get a DNA test done to confirm.

EDIT: The DNA test could also help narrow down age as if it comes back male then we know it has to be a younger male since it hasn't developed the ring yet.

Mantis64

The female ringneck tends to have a stockier build and thicker feet than the male, though his tail is slightly longer. If your parrot's head looks more square in shape and the colors around his cheeks are bright, he's more likely to be a male. Her beak isn't as pronounced as his, and her face is more rounded.

This is what I found online when I types how to tell the gender of an Indian ringneck parrot.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is an older post and the original poster hasn't visited the site for about 6 months. I doubt they will read your responses.