• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How old was your ringneck when they got their ring?

Hoshi

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iona
Hello! My IRN just turned 2 in March and hasn't gotten his ring yet, he is DNA-sexed. He hasn't shown any female behavior, so I'm sure he is just a late bloomer. I was curious if anyone here had a late bloomer, too!

20200312_133447.jpg

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I dont know anything about IRN’s, but i do know that hes one gorgeous fella! :heart:

Tinta

Avenue Veteran
The ring can take about 3 years to fully appear.

What's his name?
What's his behavior like that makes you think he's male?

Here is a video with some behavior from both a male and female.
Males speak better (females can speak if raised with males that speak but they don't do it as well as the males) hop, do 'heart wings'.
Females crouch down and cluck.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Sunny got his 1st red feather at 11 months. His total ring didn’t fill in for a couple years after that.

Conure101

Hello! My IRN just turned 2 in March and hasn't gotten his ring yet, he is DNA-sexed. He hasn't shown any female behavior, so I'm sure he is just a late bloomer. I was curious if anyone here had a late bloomer, too!

20200312_133447.jpg
I don’t know much about IRN‘s but I must say yours is beautiful! :)
@cassiesdad @rockoko

not sure of any other IRN owners
Yeah, I think those are the only two active ones.

Mantis64

My indian ringneck is coming to about a year old I'm pretty sure he's a boy because he does the heart wings but he isn't DNA sexed yet so not 100 percent. He also hasn't got the long tail yet.

Your bird is such a cutie
What colour mutation is he violet.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
That is one handsome guy!

Titan, who was a "normal" green, didn't start getting his ring until 18 months old...and the first few little ring feathers were bright red! It took almost three years for him to acquire his ring, which ironically had very little red in it...mostly it was black/blue, fading to dark purple, and finally to blue...very little, if any red...

Mantis64

That is one handsome guy!

Titan, who was a "normal" green, didn't start getting his ring until 18 months old...and the first few little ring feathers were bright red! It took almost three years for him to acquire his ring, which ironically had very little red in it...mostly it was black/blue, fading to dark purple, and finally to blue...very little, if any red...
Hi I understand you have a lot of knowledge on ringnecks and online it says that males have a squarer head and females have a rounder head and that Males head be bigger and thier cheeks be brighter.

Is this true or is it unreliable in identifying gender.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Is this true or is it unreliable in identifying gender.
I've seen about a dozen ringnecks...the males I've seen seem to have a larger, "squarer" head (I don't know if "squarer" is really a descriptive word or not! ;))

The males did seem to have brighter feathering around the cheek area...now all the IRNs I've ever seen up close were green...maybe other colored birds are different with the brightness of their cheek feathers...

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Wow what a gorgeous little ring neck!

As other's have already shared, it can take up to 3 years for rings to show, some birds do bloom late :)

Buganjimo

Meeting neighbors
Your IRN is such a cutie! I have a ringneck named Rhea, who I definitely thought was a girl, but shes almost three, and she just started getting her first pink feathers of her ring! so id say he's pretty on time for a IRN

AlaskaMcGhee

Moving in
It can take up to three years. My wife read on a pet forum that one lady had hers DNA tested a girl and just after she turned 4 her ring cane in. So there are some late bloomers out there and DNA testing isn’t always correct. One of the local bird shop owners/breeders said he has only seen about a 50% accuracy rate in the tests..... that’s just what I heard.
Johnny

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
DNA error is likely to be human error more so than a bad test. For example poorly labeling samples by a breeder, an honest accident, but can happen. You may find this little study interesting.

Edit: Sorry I think the original link went wonkie, let me try again.