• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How old should my baby Pi be?

BuzzBee

Moving in
Real Name
Shawna
Hi all,

Just wondering how old a baby should be before picking up from the breeder. If you have any advice for the first day (and following few weeks), that would be much appreciated as well! :)

Maggiebird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sally
Welcome to the avenue!! (I’m not good with this type of stuff but there are people here with better thoughts, here are my thoughts.) It depends do you want to take care of a younger bird? Like hand feeding formula? Or a bird that is already weened off of formula onto seeds or pellets? Parrots who are weaned off of formula are most likely still a baby but not super young like a hatchling. I would go personally with a bird who has been weaned because you have so many problems with hand feeding that can happen if you don’t know what your doing.Like if the formula is to hot or cold it could get them sick and possibly death. After you get your bird I would have it take a couple of days to settle in (I feel weeks are to long) before you do anything crazy with he/she. You could do things like giving treats whenever you walk by or start training if the bird is old enough to. Of course I’m not the expert with this so I’m sorry if I’m giving false information you should probably wait until someone with good knowledge about this
topic comes!

ParrotNuts

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Atharv
Hi all,

Just wondering how old a baby should be before picking up from the breeder. If you have any advice for the first day (and following few weeks), that would be much appreciated as well! :)
The best age though would be after a bird weans. The advice given that a bird you wean bonds with you best is pure baloney. So I would advice against it. Also I would be vary of any breeder who sells unweaned birds:)
Also :welcome2: to the Avenue :grpwelcome:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Andre was 3.5 months old. He was fully weaned onto a mixture of pellets, seeds and fresh vegetables. He had no issues with regression but I bought a small amount of hand feeding formula anyway, just in case.