• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How old is/was your most senior tiel?

macaronish

Hit the Road
I've heard the oldest ever tiel was 36 - yet the most Conservative estimates of their lifespan are 10-15 yrs! What's your personal experience? Also where did you get your tiel and do you think their breeding contributed to their lifespan?

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hi,

Corky was a gray tiel who lived to be 28 or plus years, we had him for 27 years and we think he may have been about 1 year old or so when he landed on our balcony to join our other tiels. Joey, his mate, was with us 24 years and was only a 1 year old when a friend who got her as a baby gave her to us. Dusty was about 18 years when he passed. I think @sunnysmom has a tiel that just turned 33 but Im sure she will be on soon with the exact age. They can live a long time with proper diet and care. None of ours had ever been sick or needed a vet thankfully.

zERo/

Walking the driveway
Avenue Spotlight Award
One of my relatives basically dumped their 12 and will be 14 year old cockatiel on me 2 years ago. He was poorly cared for and fed so I don't really expect him to live how long he could've.
We'll see!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My first tiel Sunny passed away at 20. My 2 tiels now are 23 and 33- Scooter and Rosie. Sunny was a pied, as is Scooter. Rosie is a normal grey. Every tiel that I have heard of living a long time have been one of those two mutations.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My first tiel Sunny passed away at 20. My 2 tiels now are 23 and 33- Scooter and Rosie. Sunny was a pied, as is Scooter. Rosie is a normal grey. Every tiel that I have heard of living a long time have been one of those two mutations.

I think breeding does play a part to a certain degree. Sunny came to us at 15. I traced his leg band to a breeder registered with a national cockatiel breeder association. Scooter has all the markings of a "show bird". Yes, there are such a thing. Lol. He has an amazing crest and straight wings. So I think he came from a knowledgeable breeder.

A lot of pet store birds seem to come from the equivalent of puppy mills. So in that case yes I think poor breeding will shorten their life span. Proper diet is very important too. But Sunny had a poor diet until we got him and he lived to 20. So I think it's a combination of things.