• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How old is too old?

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Not yet...supposed to roll in before long
good lord, entire yard is a lake!!! Been like this on and off all day! Need to get boat ready...lol...
water from the 3 foot wide creek 400 hundred yards behind house is about 50 yards now from pole barn! I kid you not. That's an insane amount of water!

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
good lord, entire yard is a lake!!! Been like this on and off all day! Need to get boat ready...lol...
water from the 3 foot wide creek 400 hundred yards behind house is about 50 yards now from pole barn! I kid you not. That's an insane amount of water!
Wow! That's crazy! The storm coming is supposed to have 60 mph wind gusts. Today was the first non rainy day we've had so I mowed the lawn. It started sprinkling before I finished though.

darwinparrot

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jacob
I feel like age isn't really relevant to a point when it comes to the commitment of a parrot. Too young is definitely an issue and that's where I was at for a number of years. I adopted my first rescue at the ripe age of 15. Things were great until around the time I graduated high school. I came to realize that a lot of my new adult choices would be centered around my pets. I had originally had plans to go to college out of state and move out of my childhood house. But I couldn't possibly expect my flock to behave in an apartment setting no matter what strings I pulled. So I decided to start buying my family home off of my mom while I went to college locally. Here I am at 26 and finally at a stable point again. I am 4 years off to "owning" my home but the deed is already in my name since my mom loves me lol.

Now In my opinion like someone above said; I'm 26 and I can get in a car crash on my way to work this morning and my birds would outlive me. Nothing in life is promised. If you do want a baby then my biggest piece of advice is to just make sure you equip that bird with everything you can while he's young enough to learn so he or she will be easier to love by someone else. Babies go through some pretty harsh changes as they grow but you will be here long enough to see him through adulthood I'm sure. Teach this baby bird how to manage boredom and how to communicate his needs. Socialize him with everyone you can. Harness train him so he can go places and meet people. You also want to expose him to kids, dogs, cats, other birds, etc. You can even set up an emergency fund that you can build over time to become your birds trust fund if something should happen to you. In the event you can pick a person who you know will take care of him in that case they won't be financially burdened immediately by taking him on. These things are more important than your age in opinion.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
When I adopted Luna, the estimated lifespan of a senegal was a big consideration for me. For me, it was important that, barring unexpected events, that I could commit to being his forever home. And I have to admit that I did wonder if I made the wrong choice when I read that sennies could live up to 50 years in captivity -- not 30 as I originally thought -- after I already adopted Luna. I didnt know if, at age 90 (none of my grandparents have lived past that age), Id have the health, wealth, or other resources to take care of him.

I think part of my concerns stem from my cousin's YNA. She adopted her, Spooner, when she was a vet tech more than 25 years ago because one of the clients at her vet clinic couldnt afford the medical care and left her there. Given the long lifespan of YNAs, we are now talking about who or where Spooner will go if my cousin can no longer care for her. My cousin is 20 years older than me, and so I think Spooner may have her 3rd home with me and possibly more.

Last edited:

Les charlson

Walking the driveway
I have birds different ages. My Ekkie is possibly 4, my Alexandrine is 1, the Caiques are around 4 and 1 and the Lorikeets I can't say. Finches maybe 3, thats pic is one of them on my hand.
I am 60. All my birds are discards or were locked away due to their nervous nature - biting. No one wanted them for various reasons to do with handicaps. I won't outlive some of them however they were going to be in worse trouble without me. My children will take over so I am lucky. My thoughts are its better to give them a chance than to leave them where they were. An alternative is an avian rescue with very large outdoor aviaries in the event something happens but they are few and far between.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
I think it's perfectly fine if you get a baby at that age. No matter what age you are there is no promise on how long either of you have.

But depending on where you live, there's a sweet olderish male eclectus at a rescue near me, DM me if you want more info or a link :)

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I think it's perfectly fine if you get a baby at that age. No matter what age you are there is no promise on how long either of you have.

But depending on where you live, there's a sweet olderish male eclectus at a rescue near me, DM me if you want more info or a link :)
where is the rescue located? I'm in Michigan. Another ekkie won't change my fruit budget nor the amount of splatter on my walls!

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
There’s no guarantees in this life. My favorite bird of all time is the one I had the shortest time. He was 13 when he came and we clicked instantly. A little over a year later I noticed he was losing his grip on his play stand and I scooped him up and watched the paralysis spread through his body. He should have lived another 40 years. His vet records and tests were thorough and perfect. None of us know when our time is up.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
where is the rescue located? I'm in Michigan. Another ekkie won't change my fruit budget nor the amount of splatter on my walls!
North Dakota/Minnesota.
Fargo

They're not super good at keeping their website updated about their birds so I'd call if you wanna find out about him, his name is Mango.
(701) 293-3833

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
North Dakota/Minnesota.
Fargo

They're not super good at keeping their website updated about their birds so I'd call if you wanna find out about him, his name is Mango.
(701) 293-3833
Not 100% sure if he's still there i haven't been there in about 2 weeks since we live 2 hours away and theyre only open Wednesdays and Saturdays.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I thought about that bringing Maks home at 50. Most likely Maks and Maui will outlive me if my family genes stay true...cancer on both sides. But then again I didn't expect Tuck to leave me so soon.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I worry about which is worse, who goes first ? them or me :nervous: If I die before my animals will they be cared for in the same love and considerations as I provide ? :nervous: I want for them to have it better then what they have now or comparable .:nervous:
I worry will they be mistreated & neglected used for breeding ? :nervous:then I think maybe its better they go before me ? :nervous:our best scenario! a meteor hits the earth and we go together! :nervous:I can really work myself up into super anxiety attack. :scrstf:

I hope whatever the circumstances I will have provided for them the best outcome for their future. :heart2: It is our responsibility to be their advocate they are at our mercy, no choice, no voice. :hug9:

Keep the faith all will be well ... :grouphug:

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I worry about which is worse, who goes first ? them or me :nervous: If I die before my animals will they be cared for in the same love and considerations as I provide ? :nervous: I want for them to have it better then what they have now or comparable .:nervous:
I worry will they be mistreated & neglected used for breeding ? :nervous:then I think maybe its better they go before me ? :nervous:our best scenario! a meteor hits the earth and we go together! :nervous:I can really work myself up into super anxiety attack. :scrstf:

I hope whatever the circumstances I will have provided for them the best outcome for their future. :heart2: It is our responsibility to be their advocate they are at our mercy, no choice, no voice. :hug9:

Yep, all of that! I can and do think myself into circles about such things.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra

I do know someone who has plans to euthanize all their birds when they die. I can only hope that someone intervenes and can't actually follow through. :(

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I do know someone who has plans to euthanize all their birds when they die. I can only hope that someone intervenes and can't actually follow through. :(
Oh no :sad1: I would never consider something like that. I have a beautiful Log book that i purchased from BONZAbird.com Logging my birds needs and vital resources gives them a voice for future care givers to build upon.

Michelle is a vendor here on Avian Avenue. It is a beautiful put together portfolio, I believe this is a important part of their overall enrichment.

BONZAbird.com

1575578072275.png She has a terrific sale going now...

Last edited: