• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How old is my Baby cockatiel?

aysh

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Aysha
Hello everyone...i bought a baby cockatiel last week. I am unable to gues his age..i believe he is between 3-4weeks. Can someone please confirm? I will attach a picture of My KIWI below.
I also want to know the meaning of empty crop. Every next feed there is a little food in his crop. It has never been empty since i got KIWI.
When can i move him from his tiny aquarium to the cage? He keeps crying for food everytime i open the Aquarium even if it is just few minutes since his feed.
Would love to hear from you all... 20210307_100548.jpg 20210307_100427.jpg

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
WELCOME to the Avenue!!! That is one sweet baby!

There was just a recent Q on this-- think the Noodles or Feisty Feathers websites had the answer. Pictures of daily development and growth.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Aysha! :)

Here is some info on the crop;
(let the link load fully and it will take you direct to the specific post)

i bought a baby cockatiel last week. I am unable to gues his age
Could you contact the seller for the hatch date?
Here is a video that might help you work out an average age;

Every next feed there is a little food in his crop. It has never been empty since i got KIWI.
It should be allowed to empty completely overnight. If you find there´s still food in the crop in the morning, wait 20-30 minutes, see if the rest has been digested, if not, there could be a problem.
During the day it is ok that there´s still some food in there.

aysh

Real Name
Aysha
Following my prev post.... can someone please shaee a picture of baby cockatiel with empty croo before the morning feed?? I want to understand how exactly an empty crop looks and take immediate action of mine looks different and if KIWI might have some problem....
Thank you

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
A picture is not a good way to check now that your bird is feathered. Gently run your finger from his neck, down. An empty crop you will feel it empty/flat, if the crop has food in, you will feel the food in there, like a half deflated balloon.
A full crop will be a visible bulge.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

aysh

Real Name
Aysha
A picture is not a good way to check now that your bird is feathered. Gently run your finger from his neck, down. An empty crop you will feel it empty/flat, if the crop has food in, you will feel the food in there, like a half deflated balloon.
A full crop will be a visible bulge.
Thank you for ur reply.
Yes in the morning his crop is not full and bulging but lil food is left in the bottom. Maybe 1/4th of last nights feed.
This is how he has been ever since i got him. His bowel movements and hunger all seem gealthy and normal. He is even gaining weight every passsing day.
I am so confused.
How will i know he is having some health issue??
Thank you