• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How old is an 'old' budgie and how long can budgies live for?

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M
Hi everyone! :D
I have been reading some very contradicting things online about a budgie's lifespan, and I was wondering if anybody could clarify for me? Most websites have been saying that the average lifespan is 4-9, whereas some are saying a budgie given prime care can live from 8-12. At which age can a budgie be safely classified as elderly?
My other question is this: my budgie Woody is estimated to be 4-5 years old. Is she classified as 'old'?
Thank you so much! :)

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Interesting. I have heard 7-9 a lot, but a big part of it is their care and if they have any "accidents" (being fragile little birds). I am curious to know at what age the start developing elderly behaviors/health problems.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There was a very useful thread a while back where Ripshod stated his average age for budgies that weren't just there for palliative care. I think it was around what Scrape mentioned. Yes, it would be useful to know when they're seniors/ have senior health issues. A long life doesn't necessarily imply a healthy one too.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Even if you ask this question to an avian vet you will get different answers. There is so much depending upon the genetics of the budgies, the conditions in which they live and the nutrition/exercises they have. Do they sit in a cage all day or do they fly much? I have had budgies that lived only 2 years. I have had one live 10 years. There is really no correct answer to your question.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I think it was this thread:

As @Lady Jane mentioned a lot of it comes down to diet and exercise, but it also comes down to DNA (selective breeding and inbreeding).
Find a good American budgie chick from a society registered breeder and give it a good diet with all the exercise a budgie needs and there's no foreseeable reason why that budgie would not have the potential to reach 10+
My oldest was 14years.

Last edited:

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Even if you ask this question to an avian vet you will get different answers. There is so much depending upon the genetics of the budgies, the conditions in which they live and the nutrition/exercises they have. Do they sit in a cage all day or do they fly much? I have had budgies that lived only 2 years. I have had one live 10 years. There is really no correct answer to your question.
Does not being able to fly decrease their lifespan? Mark cannot fly, he can only glide.:(

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
While yes 4-5 can be old for some budgies, I don’t see it as old for most.
Of all my budgies I only treat LJ as old for two reason, one he is old years wise (estimated 8-9, I’ve had him at least 6-7 years and am his second home), and also because the care I gave him most of those years was far from great.
Personally I think I class 6 as not super young anymore.

BirdG1rl

Real Name
Mara M.M
Thank you for all of your replies! I was also wondering that if your budgie has had previous problems, like a respiratory infection, but recovered, could that still impact their lifespan as a whole? And I read that stress could also be a factor.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Stress can be a big factor that effects the health of all living beings. If the lungs are damaged by things like cigarette smoke or aspestos, COPD the lungs do not get better but get no worse. Even the feather dust exposure we humans can get will sometimes effect our lungs. I cant have any more birds. An infection that your vet cleared up probably does not but it depends on what kind of infection it was. Pneumonia can clear up but can leave scars in the lungs.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Thank you for all of your replies! I was also wondering that if your budgie has had previous problems, like a respiratory infection, but recovered, could that still impact their lifespan as a whole? And I read that stress could also be a factor.
I have recently been learning about scar tissue that forms from respiratory problems. In humans and parrots. I don't want to say anything that isn't true, I just know it is a factor.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I don’t think a temporary infection would decrease their overall lifespan, especially if they fully recovered. I’ve heard of budgies having to get tumors removed and living over 10 years. It really just depends on the budgie itself

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Some infections do impact longevity & even predisposition for other diseases, even after being cleared up, at least in people. It'd depend on many factors, most notably what caused the infection.

SchwuggieLove

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
Little late to the party, but wanted to chime in.

I was searching the forum for this question because I am curious whether i should be changing up my little guy's care or if he's considered "old".... He's about 9.5 years so far, and been with me since he was a baby. He's very healthy and really shows no signs of aging as far as I can tell. Maybe a bit more naps than he took when he was younger? Or maybe I just didn't notice, because I wasn't working from home yet. He loves to fly, which I'm sure keeps him in good shape. I try to give him a healthy, balanced diet. He seems happy and healthy. He bonded to me after my other bird died, so we're best buddies. I'm hoping I have quite a few more years with him! It will absolutely break my heart when I lose him.