• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

how often should i worm my bird and what do you recommend?

minkylory

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nel
hello, i have a rainbow lorikeet and I have not wormed them yet. I am unsure on what is a good wormer and how often to give it. they dont have worms but I don't want them to get worms obviously. I'm also not sure if worming medications can come with negative side effects so I would definitely like to know if they do and what they are so I can look out for anything concerning. thank you :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Is your bird kept outside at all? I only ask because indoor birds getting worms is pretty uncommon. I've kept birds for 10 years and never have wormed.

Any medication has a risk of side effects, so I would personally not do it unless you see evidence of it being needed. Giving wormer with no worms will not prevent future infestation, if that makes sense.

minkylory

Real Name
Nel
no he isn't kept outside but he is kept by a window during the day and I have a few other pets (dogs). I suppose there's no real point in giving it if it doesn't do anything to prevent anything :o: thank you very much for the input!! I wouldn't want to give him something that would do more harm than good.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm no expert but I agree that I've heard of it being given to birds that primarily live outside. It's uncommon for indoor pet birds to have worms is my understanding. I've had Conures for 15 years and never had an issue.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Definitely something you would only give if there is evidence of your bird having worms- never as a preventative measure as that just is not a thing. I remember when I was a kid everyone I knew had parents that did the regular preventative worming of kids and pets alike- when I grew up and had to take my dog, ferret and cat to the vet for their vaccinations I could move them via boat to another state I asked for the vet to worm them and was told it was a waste of time, money and not good for my pets to be wormed unless they had worms or were possibly exposed to poop from other pets who may have worms.

minkylory

Real Name
Nel
Definitely something you would only give if there is evidence of your bird having worms- never as a preventative measure as that just is not a thing. I remember when I was a kid everyone I knew had parents that did the regular preventative worming of kids and pets alike- when I grew up and had to take my dog, ferret and cat to the vet for their vaccinations I could move them via boat to another state I asked for the vet to worm them and was told it was a waste of time, money and not good for my pets to be wormed unless they had worms or were possibly exposed to poop from other pets who may have worms.
ahh I see okay thank you :))

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for asking this question! It has come up more frequently in the past couple of weeks on the forums. I must admit, it never occurred to me to 'de-worm' my birds unless they showed signs of a parasitic infection of the sort. I guess I just never assumed it to be necessary like heartworm prevention in dogs or horses, etc.

minkylory

Real Name
Nel
Thank you for asking this question! It has come up more frequently in the past couple of weeks on the forums. I must admit, it never occurred to me to 'de-worm' my birds unless they showed signs of a parasitic infection of the sort. I guess I just never assumed it to be necessary like heartworm prevention in dogs or horses, etc.
yeah I guess I kind of thought of him as a dog but he doesn't go outside so he can't really get any parasites :p

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
If he is inside then its not necessary unless his parents were wild & might have given him worms during feeding him or he got them somehow before you got him.

Never even thought about worms in pet birds.

If you were really concerned a vet can check for parasites in poop I imagine. then they could prescribe the correct medication & dosage.
Don't think it would be wise to administer medication not knowing if they really have any parasites or if the medication was the right kind.

Last edited:

minkylory

Real Name
Nel
If he is inside then its not necessary unless his parents were wild & might have given him worms during feeding him or he got them somehow before you got him.

Never even thought about worms in pet birds.

If you were really concerned a vet can check for parasites in poop I imagine. then they could prescribe the correct medication & dosage.
Don't think it would be wise to administer medication not knowing if they really have any parasites or if the medication was the right kind.
yeah he was wild but I got him at 2-3 weeks old, so I would assume that he wouldn't be doing too great if he has parasites when he was that young. if i think something is wrong I'll bring him down to the vet :)