• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How often should egg food be given?

Tiel lover

Strolling the yard
I want to make egg food for my flock, how often should i give it to them? Should i give it to my cockatiel too? Also are breadcrumbs fine for egg food, and if they are, what is the ratio of egg:breadcrumb and how long can i refrigerate them for?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Are your cockatiels laying eggs or breeding? If so, your females will need the extra calcium.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
If they eat pellets it is not necessary.

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
For non-breeding birds, you can offer a small amount of eggfood once or twice a week as a supplement to the bird's regular diet. It is a good source of protein, which is especially helpful if your bird is molting or under stress. And soft food is a useful option when giving powdered or liquid medications to birds, so I think it is a great food to introduce to all birds.

Just avoid overfeeding, since it is quite rich.

Offering too much rich foods can encourage nesting and hormonal behavior (abundant resources trigger breeding in the wild) and contribute to weight gain.

Here are a couple of recipes:

I use a commercial eggfood product, so I don't have experience mixing my own. However, I see no reason why you couldn't use bread crumbs. Like making chop, eggfood is very flexible. It is simply hardboiled egg and a binder, like biscuit, breadcrumbs or cooked grains. I would try a 1:1 ratio. If it is too wet, add more crumbs. If it is too dry, add a bit of water. You can add other ingredients, like seeds or chopped veggies too. You want the final mixture to have a crumbly damp consistency so it holds together, not too watery or sticky.

Last edited:

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
I give my budgies egg food about once every 1-2 weeks.
Also are breadcrumbs fine for egg food, and if they are, what is the ratio of egg:breadcrumb and how long can i refrigerate them for?
I don't put breadcrumbs in my egg food, it is unnecessary. I put seeds and pellets instead. I also don't refrigerate it, I only make a little at a time since they don't eat much anyway. Also, I only give egg food for 1-2 hours in the morning before replacing it with plain pellets, or it will go bad.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Breadcrumbs plus boiled egg creates a complete protein. It’s excellent. 2 eggs + 1can plain bread crumbs. Mash with a fork into crumbles.

I don’t know what your other birds are besides a tiel, but I give all mine egg food— finches, canaries, parrotlets, tiels, and evening the parrots get a bite.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Btw this morning my birds got hard boiled eggs and the shells (ground up on the side). I mixed their green food supplement with it. You could also sprinkle it with vitamins or probiotics.

The little ones loved it. The parrots turned up their beaks.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I thought one only needed to worry about complete proteins when putting together a vegetarian diet. My understanding is that all animal proteins are complete proteins.
Then don't add bread crumbs to yours.

I probably should have said complete food, or improved food, or something. I blame my ongoing COVID + a pulled back muscle.

By mixing the 2, you give the egg a "carrier" (the bread crumbs) that helps smaller birds eat the food. Often when you feed plain boiled egg, they leave a lot. In addition, by adding a can of plain inexpensive bread crumbs, you add minerals like iodine, calcium, phosphorus iron, magnesium, ... some others.

*smaller birds are cockatiels and down.

**hopefully this is somewhat intelligible.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Then don't add bread crumbs to yours.

I probably should have said complete food, or improved food, or something. I blame my ongoing COVID + a pulled back muscle.

By mixing the 2, you give the egg a "carrier" (the bread crumbs) that helps smaller birds eat the food. Often when you feed plain boiled egg, they leave a lot. In addition, by adding a can of plain inexpensive bread crumbs, you add minerals like iodine, calcium, phosphorus iron, magnesium, ... some others.

*smaller birds are cockatiels and down.

**hopefully this is somewhat intelligible.
I’m sorry to year you are sick, and I hope you make a full recovery soon!
:hug8: