• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How often should a cage be replaced?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lobby

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Mark Hogan
How often do you replace your fids cages? Goofy is going on her third cage in 11 years while Strawberry is still in her first cage.

Do you replace when needed? That is when broken, finish worn out, rusty or other damage. Or do you say it has been x amount of years time for a new cage?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If you don't have much money you drive the same old car until the wheels fall off. If you have lots of money you always want to drive the latest hottest model. :D

Bethany

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Bethany
I replace when needed :)
My budgies are in their third cage (they just got a new upgrade) I wouldn't have gotten them as many upgrades but they are both female & don't get along that well. So they need their space. They are both about two years old.
My doves are in one size bigger (budgies old cage). And my conure hasn't gotten a new cage since she came to me, shes three years old.
All their cages are in good condidion :)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
In my case... I replaced my pionus parrot Sachi's cage with a stainless steel cage less than 2 years after I purchased the cage. I did this because the 1rst cage that I purcase was really NOT the right size and I felt Sachi deserved much better.:)

My African grey Emma's cage is merely 2.5 years old and in excellent shape because I clean it weekly and Emma isn't destructive at all. I will still be replacing it shortly with a new "stainless steel" cage... so I don't ever have to worry about "cage replacement". I guess it also depends on your budget... BUT I think saftey should be the priority. If the cage is holding up well and the right size, it's not necessary to replace it

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
I'm guessing that Cookie has had her cage for a little over two years. (She got it in her old home - and she's only three years old..)

She'll be getting another one, really, really soon. I wish i could get a stainless steal one, but don't have the funds ;P

I'm getting a new one because her old one is starting to rust (luckilly in places she can't get too, but still, i don't want to take chances) & I'm getting her one that is twice as large! (The HQ double flight..) I plan on taking very good care of it - i wonder how long it will hold up..

lamagdalena

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
i just replaced two of my budgies cages because two wires broke under the weight of a wooden perch :confused:

i do want to get a hq flight cage for the four of them together. The other fabies still have their first cage, Hulk and Tequila's are going on two years and a half and still look great!

if they continue to look as good I want to replace them with larger, perhaps stainless steel if i have the money later on.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
If you don't have much money you drive the same old car until the wheels fall off. If you have lots of money you always want to drive the latest hottest model. :D

Nicely said.

I buy the largest cages for my birds(well not THE largest as that would be indoor aviaries...), and once their wheels fall off (just saying it as a figure of speech) I buy them a new one:)

If the cage starts to rust, or paint chipping, wheels loose, etc etc etc, I will get a new cage.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
And of course you don't want to drive a toyota Corolla with no options all your life. You would like to have a full sized Limo someday with all the goodies.

fid fanatic

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Cheri
When needed or you get a wild hair up your backside and decide you want to upgrade just cuz. ;) My CAG had the same cage for 13 years (and it was still in really great condition) until I decided to upgrade to a larger one for his hatchday. Then I got my Ekkie an upgrade too (because that just wouldn't have been fair) and he's not even 2.5 years old yet.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Sam's cage is over 20 years old..it is steel..one of the oldies but goodies and is in great shape....

robin's my baby

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
sarah
somtimes its needed like when you have 4 cockatiels in a cage big enuff for 2-3 or somtimes you just want a limo with a hot tub and a mini bar

Status
Not open for further replies.